Seventeen muzzleloading hogs......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
...and I STILL don't know what works! :huh?:

Sixteen hunters KILLED seventeen hogs with thirteen DIFFERENT bullets using eight different propellants in six different models of muzzleloaders!

The Savage came out on top when it came to the model most hunters used. Nine hunters killed nine hogs using six different bullets.

The Knight Disc Elite .50 was next in number of hunters. Four hunters killed five hogs using three different bullets.

The following guns were one hunter, one hog, one bullet! :D

Knight Disc Extreme .50
Ultralight Arms .50
T/C Encore .50
SMI/NEF .50

The most used bullet used this year was the 250gr Bonded Shockwave. 3 hunters used it to kill hogs. Next was the 300gr Speer .452, two hunters two hogs followed by the 240gr .429 XTP, one hunter TWO hogs! The rest were all one hog bullets. The 225gr XPB, 275gr XPB, 300gr Original, 350gr X, 250gr Expander, 300gr Bonded Shockwave, 240gr HM Slick-40, 250gr Shockwave, 260gr Dead Center, and the 275gr T-Shock XLR.

Optics were represented by Leupold(4), Zeiss(3), Bushnell(3 or 4 I think) Weaver(1), Simmons(1), Burris(1), Tasco(1)... Really these are just my best guess. :roll:

All I know is EVERYTHING here worked and I still don't know what the best hog hunting rig is!

There is nothing better than getting out hunting with old (and new!) friends. Often the camaraderie is as important as the hunt. Sounds like you all had a great time!

the one you have in your hands when the big shows clint

I had a Sightron SII and JD used a Meuller .. :D

Austin/Halleck tried to make the show again.. but was an absolute dissapointment again!!

I had a Sightron SII and JD used a Meuller ..

Well I really didn't know or had forgotten what you used. For some reason I thought you used a 3200. I had completely forgotten JD had the Muler :D !

Austin/Halleck tried to make the show again.. but was an absolute dissapointment again!!

Austin & Halleck DOES get the most disappointing muzzleloader award.

sounds like you guys had a great time. glad the hear about the Elites too.

C'mon now-- Doohan wanted an eight way adjustable trigger. He's got at least that, if not more. Perhaps it was simple miscommunication-- looks like he got a "Victor 4-Way" instead. Stuff happens. :oops:

I see where one porker was taken with the 275 gr. XPB (IndianaHunter??). How did this bullet perform?

IH's shot killed his boar deader than snot. A cornucopia of most excellent crimson carnage.

I can also tell you that a 300 gr. Barnes Original will quickly flip a pig from the amazing distance of . . . seven yards. There still might be lung bits in the trees. :shock:

Grouse said:
300grn XTP, might be the best pig load Chuck??????

It surely is a good one. At such close range and high velocities it would be hard to beat a Barnes Expander/Swift A-Frame/Partition Gold. I wish my shot would have been a little closer. The T-Shock XLR was only going about 1800fps or so when it struck my hog. I really didn't expect anything other than perfect performance which I got.

Latest posts

Back