Takd a look at these beauties

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Y'all
For a while now(!) you've heard me extol the virtues of modest powered loads and pushing jacketed handgun bullets past their normal velocity envelopes.
Mostly I've praised the Hornady XTP's, and rightly so.
I have also mentioned the Winchester 230 grain j.h.p. I found some recovered specimens, and present them for your consideration.
These were fired from a .50 caliber T/ C Black Diamond XR, with a charge of 60 grains 3f Triple 7. Estimated velocity of 1500 fps. Didn't have a chronograph then...
The top bullet is a 250. 45 XTP for comparison.
The bottom left bullet was fired into dirt at 10 yards. Did this because I was a tad nervous about the bullet holding together at close range. I killed a doe at about 30 yards with this bullet. Got a pass through and her chest was GOOEY!
The other bullets were recovered at 100 yards, after passing throught 3/8" plywood and into dirt.
These are not bonded bullets, but never did I recover one that shed a core.
Now, I doubt Winchester ever meant these flying ashtrays to go buzzing along at 1500 fps. But I believe the jacket not being compromised by the rifling, made these results possible.
One bullet may be a fluke. But 9 is not.
I wouldn't use these on bigger than deer, and would be careful about shot angle and heavy bone. But if you need / desire a modest load, there are many options.

Attachments

• 20240114_204444.jpg
    20240114_204444.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240114_204523.jpg
    20240114_204523.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Good info. Thanks for sharing.
I've become a fan of the Hornady XTP's 240 grain bullets. The doe I shot this year was totally wrecked by one. Shot was from about 20 yards, fired from my CVA Wolf, with an 80 grain volume charge of Triple 7, 2f.

Back