Shooting my 75.00 Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I believe its a keeper, heres the 3 rd group Ive ever shot with it after spending 2.5 hrs cleaning the barrel and another 3-4 hrs. refinishing the stock....Distance was 52 yds., ammo 240 gr. XTP w/green sabots and 80 grs. Goex 3F.... wiped w/windex patch both sides and 1 dry patch each shot and fired 1 musket cap after to dry barrel.. forgot to fire cap on 3rd shot and had a slight hang fire...the bore is a little rough yet from rust/pitting from previous owner so may get some JB and give it a treatment..all shots open sights rested on my hand on a sleeping bag on hood of truck, standing up.

1f7ko4.jpg
[/url]

That'll put meat in the freezer man! Great buy. I bet with JB treatment and some tweaking of the load, you'll have a shooter.

group

bad thing is other then the #3 shot( flyer) that may be about as good as I can shoot anymore with open sights, eyes are getting to where I can no longer keep the sights/target in focus to shoot tight groups...it is drilled and tapped for a scope but really want to keep it open sights.

My old bi-focal eyes are crap too dbowling. Can't shoot with regular open sights worth a hoot any more. Buit with a peep sight I'm just fine out to 75 yards with a 6 o'clock hold on the bull, even farther in good light with a good target.

I am discovering the same thing with my bifocals. I can see either the back sight and a fuzzy front or the front sight and a fuzzy back. Then I have to crowd all that onto the target. One reason I put 4x scopes on my Renegades.

6 oclock hold

I was using a 6 oclock. hold on the bottom of the black so its hitting pretty much to point of aim with the 80 gr. og Goex 3f... it shot to the same point of aim with 90 gr. also but w/a little larger group, maybe 3 inches.

Semisane said:
My old bi-focal eyes are crap too dbowling. Can't shoot with regular open sights worth a hoot any more. Buit with a peep sight I'm just fine out to 75 yards with a 6 o'clock hold on the bull, even farther in good light with a good target.

Semisane said:

I have always found a ghost ring easier to use. If you could see putting a fiber optic front sight with a peep on the rear, that might be a good combo. Skinner makes a peep with interchangeable diameters that just screws into the scope mount thread. But then you'd have to adjust for windage somehow if it were off... If the front sight was dovetailed that'd work.

Semisane said:
Fiber optics don't work for me. Even with a peep they appear as a blob. But a nice flat square top front sight is clear and sharp for me with a peep sight.

For low light situations, I do this. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... -dusk.html

My glasses seem to let me see the end of the barrel quite clearly. It's the close ones I don't see, hence the ghost ring to see THROUGH.

fiber optics

I think fiber optic front sight would be great if they would make it in a .010 bright fiber instead of such big fibers that way they wouldnt halo so much and block out your sight picture. May look into the Skinner sight.

Latest posts

Back