Smoked Turkey...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRaymond

Reaction score
This is a late post but spring is just around the corner. Last Spring I found a great internet deal on an old CVA Trapper 12 gauge shotgun. I did a little work on it and returned it to safe/good condition. It had a screw in modified choke. I worked up a pretty decent turkey load for it using 80 grains of 2f Goex, overpowder card, two felt wads, 2oz of nickle plated <a href='/tags/6' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6'>#6</a> shot and an overshot card. The pattern was pretty dense at 25 yards. I took it out opening day and located a decent group of gobblers on the roost. I set up on them and they were thundering back at my calls. A short while later, they were on the ground and heading my way. The first to appear over the ridge were 2 jakes. They came looking and I was quiet, they were about 25 yards away, but I waited to see what else was around. As soon as the jake went back over the ridge out of sight, I called again...at that point 2 mature long beards came hammering at me and rushed in to about 20-25 yards. I took aim and let the lead bird have it! He lept up in the air and tried to take flight, but came crashing down about 10 yards away. He was still alive, but in rough shape. I decided to load again and finish him off. The 2nd shot cleaned his clock and stripped alot of feathers off of him too. The old trapper did the trick, but I think the load of <a href='/tags/6' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6'>#6</a> was dense enough, but didn't quite pack the knockdown power I like when turkey hunting. The modified choke didn't really help either. Before the next spring season, I'm going to get some <a href='/tags/4' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #4'>#4</a> shot and go with a Full or Turkey Choke on the gun. 80 grains of 2f seemed pretty stout and the light gun kicks like a mule, especially when trying to motivate 2oz of shot! Apparently the gun takes screw in Winchokes, which are not too hard to find. All said and done, the old boy came in right around 20lbs, had a 9+ inch beard and worn down rock hopping spurs just over 3/4 of an inch. Not bad for my first BP turkey. 
IMG_2434.jpg

:cheers:
Copy3ofvde1016_muzzle_loader_muley_edited_E.jpg
:cheers:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Smoking a gobbler is only enjoyed by a few....nicely done Matt'! :Red tup:
(I've always used 4's on turkeys)

I have a CVA Double that has Modified Chokes on both Barrels shot bunch of Game including Turkeys.

Good going!

oneshot

00110.jpg

Latest posts

Back