Solunar Tables? Does anyone here go by them?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a meat hunter first. I prefer does for eating, but a buck in the 3-8 point variety works as well. When I kill a big buck I will grind up all of it into burger except the tenderloin an backstraps, might save a neck roast as well. I have eaten enough tag soup in my early hunting days learning to pattern deer!

I don't pay much attention to the table either, and I totally agree with keeping an eye on the barometer,but if your not in the woods you won't shoot anything.lol

Cancer got my Dad in 2014, and though I’m not superstitious, I’ve been wearing one of his old camo hunting shirts on pretty much every hunt since then. I had that particular shirt on when I killed my 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2020 bucks. Solunar chart or lucky shirt, which is more believable?!? 🤷‍♂️
To be on the safe side, I will continue to wear the shirt AND use the solunar chart.:lewis:
I would stick with the shirt

I certainly reference them and have found them to be somewhat accurate. but... not the final answer!

This weeks thoughts

1609353461416.png

Last edited:
I have killed some big bucks on or around the new moon and the full moon days. I think it makes the movement stronger especially if those moon phases hit at the right time of the month. I just killed this 10 point on dec 14. The day of the new moon. I saw 6 bucks in 45 minutes before I killed this one

Attachments

• C3B8C4D2-479B-4D09-99F0-EE939843EDED.jpeg
    C3B8C4D2-479B-4D09-99F0-EE939843EDED.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 3
I have killed some good bucks on the days around and on the new moon and the full moon. I think there’s stronger movement on those days especially if it hits at certain times of the month. I killed this one dec 14. The day of the new moon. I saw 6 bucks in 45 minutes befii oh re I shot this one.

Attachments

• 90459AAE-D7D2-4BC8-98EB-A5038E52063C.jpeg
    90459AAE-D7D2-4BC8-98EB-A5038E52063C.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2
I've taken far more trophy bucks at dawn and dusk than any other time of day, regardless of tables. However, I firmly believe one's particular hunting spot makes a big difference. For example, I see more at those times because most of my stands are set up with big timber on one side and either row crop or pasture on the other. Deer are nocturnal creatures, so it only seems to reason that in somewhat open areas such as these, dawn/dusk would be more fruitful. Big bucks don't often hang out in wide open fields in broad daylight, at least not in northern Missouri. So, if you're planning to use the tables, I suspect they might be more effective if you're further back into the timber because a mature bucks prefer to remain hidden when there's a lot of light.

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Years ago I read several books on this theory of the moon phase and position in the sky. I don't make my hunting plans based on that calendar, but I have witnessed a few very unusual time frames that has made me go home and look up the chances for good movement, and those often prove to be true.

With that in mind, I still just go when I want or when the availability allows. I do agree that wind and air pressure are factors as well as hunting pressure. and general weather.

For me, the rut changes everything. In Oregon, with blacktail, you see things in early November that are way more predictable. Thank goodness for muzzleloader season.

Do you guys have an app that shows barometric pressure? Would be good to be able to see days/dates with barometric forecasts.

I get out in the woods all I can early to late but I do check the solar lunar calendar just to see the what times are shown as best best so Im being most aware during these times . I generally stay out all day in a blind or tree stand, so I have a book to glance at now and then. After several hours of not seeing anything I tend to nod off sometimes so I focus on these times referenced in the tables to try to stay in the game. I also believe the barometer is a great tool to use.

Latest posts

Back