Some Trapped Hogs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filthy stinky I hunted inTenn. Shot two you could smell the herd coming Had made into spicy sausage OK rest like chewing shoe leather

The larger boar weighed about 250 pounds, the smaller boar (second picture) about 175 pounds and the sow about 250 pounds. All were very fat from eating pecans.

The boars were left for the coyotes. The couple who took the sow brought me some pork chops and sauerkraut, delicious. The chops were huge.

In late February or early March my lease mate and i will begin serious trapping.

The larger boar weighed about 250 pounds, the smaller boar (second picture) about 175 pounds and the sow about 250 pounds. All were very fat from eating pecans.

The boars were left for the coyotes. The couple who took the sow brought me some pork chops and sauerkraut, delicious. The chops were huge.

In late February or early March my lease mate and i will begin serious trapping.
Smoked pork chops with sauerkraut makes the German blood in me all giggly.

All were very fat from eating pecans.
Those are some fine healthy hogs for sure.

The hogs I hunt on a quarter million acres of two WMAs and a national forest, live miles deep inside these areas on the most rugged terrain and in some of the thickest cover I've hunted. For a short time in the fall they gorge on acorns, and this is when the meat is most delicious.

Unlike the hogs near farm and ranch land, these "mountain" cousins spend their entire lives running up and down hills and valleys so steep, that I often have to climb out on my hands and knees. When butchered they have almost no fat, and their meat is the leanest pork I've ever eaten.

The speed at which these critters can run up a 45 to 60-degree incline is hard to believe. It's remarkable to me how they can adapt to almost any living conditions.

Latest posts

Back