spring bear 07

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyAl

Reaction score
Well I just got back from my abbreviated hunt, I had originally planned to hunt for one day, fly home to honor some family commitments I had and then back for four consecutive days to hunt. Only ended up hunting 2 days in total, as unforseen family commitments forced me home. Still had a great time we flew up in a cesna 185 for a quick one day hunt on Thursday:
Copyofbears07082.jpg

It only took us 2 hrs to get up there, it would have been shorter but we were bucking a head wind. Had a good nite on stand, saw 6 different bears one of which was real interested in mine and Bob's tree:
Copyofbears07079.jpg

We had up to 4 bears at our bait at once, they were snarling, fighting and running each other off for the better part of 4 hrs. It made for great watching, Bob had never sat on a bait before so I think all of this action spoiled him. We got out of the stand a touch early as Bob was cramped up from 5 hrs of sitting still ( I could get up and move around in my stand). He got down first and I followed, when I hit the ground I saw him staring into the bush pointing his rifle at a big black bear. The bear was about 20yards from the bait and must have been waiting for dark to come in, either of us could have shot him but we have both shot "black" black bears before so we passed. The bear never did leave and as we walked out he came to the bait. We stayed overnite in a hotel and flew home Friday morning. The flight up had been smooth as glass the flight home was anything but, I almost "refunded" my breakfast a couple of times. We made great time though as a big tailwind pushed us home in 1hr and 20mins. Definately was an adventure. Sunday morning we drove back up and rebaited and hunted that nite. The action was a little slow at my bait, one small black bear right when I climbed into the tree and then nothing until 20mins before dark. 4 different bears came in then and I dropped the hammer on a colored boar:
Copyofbears07090.jpg

300gr sst, 2-777 pellets outta my T/C Omega.
While not the biggest he sure had great color and personality, he ran other black bears off the bait that were twice his size. I've seen 2 other colored black bears up there, passed on them hoping they would return the next year growing bigger only to never see them again. Maybe I was a little trigger happy in shooting him but he'll make a wonderful full mount. Meanwhile, while I was dragging my bear away from the bait for pics my buddy Kevin was tracking the black boar he shot with his bow. He tracked him 40 yards from the bait, found the arrow covered in blood and could hear him deep in the "thick stuff", wisely he backed away and we recovered him the next morning. It was his first bow killed bear and was a good bear too:(you'd think he wasn't happy but trust me he was)
Copyofbears07102.jpg

Here's some other pics of the bears:
Copyofbears07097.jpg

Copyofbears07108.jpg

Copyofbears07110.jpg

We're already making plans for next year hopefully it will include more time on stand and more bears! :D

Congratulations on a couple of awesome bears! I really enjoyed reading of your hunt. GREAT story! You must have good job on your stand selection and baiting. That black bear looks like a BRUTE!

Cowboy,

thanks for the wtite up...this are some fine bears.... :prayer:

nice 185 you've got there! 8) is that your plane? what year is it?

nice bears too :D

plane?

No not mine (although it would be nice). It's my buddy's neighbor's, he flew us up in exchange for a nite of sitting on stand, he enjoys any opportunity to have a reason to fly. He's flown for years and wants to get comfortable with longer flights as next year he plans on flying to Nunavit (sp?). It turned a 6+ hr drive into a 1.5-2hr flight, that is a good thing. I believe it's a 1973 model (300hp I think) lots of power for 3 big guys and all our gear.

that's a nice plane ... those 185's are very popular w/ bush pilots cause they can carry so much weight.

your story reminded me of a flight i took in a cessna 152 (much smaller 2-seat cessna) ... we had about a 35 knot headwind, lots of turbulence. the plane only has about a 100 knot cruise speed in the first place, so our ground speed was only about 65 knots or so. we could look down and see cars passing us on the interstate! definitely glad i didnt eat a large breakfast before THAT flight ...

Excellent hunting report and pictures. Bears are really exciting to hunt, without question. I just wish we did not have to wait for so many years here in Wisconsin to earn enough points for a Harvest permit.

Back