SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob162

Reaction score
Does anyone use the 250 Gr. SST to take shoulder shots on deer? I was wondering how the perform. I want to try to drop deer in their tracks. Thanks

I don’t think you would have any issue with the shoulder of a deer. As long as you have the appropriate amount of powder behind it and aren’t trying to stretch the distance a long ways. I took the front shoulder out of a cow elk with the 300gn SST without issue and watched it happen multiple other times as well.

Nothing but pass throughs with 300 gun SST sabot slugs from a 12 ga out to 100 yds. I believe this is the same bullet as the muzzleloading bullets.

I even shot one quartering to and it passed through one shoulder bone and still penetrated 38” before exiting in front of the opposite side haunch.

Since about 2003 i've killed about 80 deer and large numbers of wild hogs using the excellent 250 grain SST bullet. Most were taken with my .50 Encore rifle.

Most deer were killed from stands or blinds overlooking ponds, trails, wheatfields and game plots. About half were taken with heart-lung shots, the others with high shoulder and high behind the shoulder shots. Most were bang flops.

Powder charges were 120-140 grains of Pyrodex or Black MZ powder. i'm now using 140 grains of Shooters World 3F.

I shoot the 200s out of my 45 and breaks shoulders down nicely. Even shoot a doe with a head shot with them. Only shot I had a that deer last day of the season. Never had an issue Very accurate and good performance. The head shot was 125 yards. Never took a step.

This hog was busted up by a 200 grain SST. Bullet hit the 3 inch sapling hog was rubbing against, bullet did not penetrate the sapling.

VB2YDgl.jpg

YPh4OcXl.jpg

Last edited:
300 SST / 2 pellets of 777, and Winchester primer. 2-3 inch group at 100, and a bunch of dead deer with new muzzleloader shooters. Most were short tracks, any shoulder shots went through both sides. Easy button load in Knights

I used the 250 grain SSTs for many years and found them accurate and deadly on deer. I even shot a cow elk at 120 yards with one. With those bullets, because of the soft construction, i usually would hold for an off shoulder hit. I did shoot a mule deer at about 100 yards with one right in the shoulder and dropped it only to have him get up and try and take off again. That bullet did not penetrate very well and hit right below the shoulder knuckle.

Back