Bullet Choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok always trying to learn. I shot a big Doe for our area 150-160 lb on the hoof. I used a 230 gr XTP, shot was 104 yds ranged. Pass through but 2 nd deer with both shoulders blood shot. Typical load 75 gr T7 2 f, so it was not hot. Would a 250 gr bullet being a bit heavier do less on the blood shot n still do a pass through? There was small flecks of lead on the off side, not what i was wanting to see. I have some Barnes .451 250 gr n Fury 250's.

Ok always trying to learn. I shot a big Doe for our area 150-160 lb on the hoof. I used a 230 gr XTP, shot was 104 yds ranged. Pass through but 2 nd deer with both shoulders blood shot. Typical load 75 gr T7 2 f, so it was not hot. Would a 250 gr bullet being a bit heavier do less on the blood shot n still do a pass through? There was small flecks of lead on the off side, not what i was wanting to see. I have some Barnes .451 250 gr n Fury 250's.
What do you mean by " Bloodshot"? I'm not familiar with that term. ( other than how my eyes look most of the time )TY

Where the bullet impacts the body n exits the body. Its bloody gelled mess on both sides n it takes both of my hands side by side to just cover that area. The hole is 3-4 times the size of bullet. I am thinking a heavier bullet or a bullet that is not so explosive. I may have to lower the load but then i lose yardage. I try to keep my inline good to 125 yards.

I switched to a 300gr it didn't do quite as bad as like a 240 xtp , but I didn't shoot a full grow ridge runner either, lol there all going do there job, granted some messier than others. Remember salt water soak is your friend on blood shot.

Where the bullet impacts the body n exits the body. Its bloody gelled mess on both sides n it takes both of my hands side by side to just cover that area. The hole is 3-4 times the size of bullet. I am thinking a heavier bullet or a bullet that is not so explosive. I may have to lower the load but then i lose yardage. I try to keep my inline good to 125 yards.
Thanks

I quit shooting deer in the shoulders after I picked up one from my butcher and I had a note that said both shoulders Destroyed! 240grn hornady xtp 80grn blackhorn. I now try to shoot em behind the shoulder! 😁
I'll keep sayin it " neck, head, or high shoulder " is the only way to go. Never worry about a " blood trail " OR - meat loss again.

Any of you try the Hornady Bore-Driver bullets? I'm thinking of using them on next years cow elk hunt.

I just used the bore driver last night to kill a small buck. Short range, but it killed very good! Darin

High shoulder and neck shots, destroys a lot of burger meat! Been there and done that!
I can't agree with you my friend on the neck shots " ruining " anything. I always use the necks for the pressure cooker to make BBQ or cut the meat off & it gets used in the burger. There really isn't that much meat on the necks. So putting a round thru the neck - at any place along the bones is no big deal, not nearly enough meat loss to worry about. Now, the high shoulder shot, with - some bullets, you'll get a large wound channel, with other bullets or slower velocities, you won't. However, by simply soaking the shoulders & backstraps in a cooler full of ice & some salt, it draws whatever blood build up right out. So the only actual meat loss is the actual wound channel. But the fact that both shots 100% of the time in my experience, is a bang/flop DRT never knew what hit them. Thats a huge plus to me. I certainly do respect your perspective & input though I disagree. Thanks for your post.

I can't agree with you my friend on the neck shots " ruining " anything. I always use the necks for the pressure cooker to make BBQ or cut the meat off & it gets used in the burger. There really isn't that much meat on the necks. So putting a round thru the neck - at any place along the bones is no big deal, not nearly enough meat loss to worry about. Now, the high shoulder shot, with - some bullets, you'll get a large wound channel, with other bullets or slower velocities, you won't. However, by simply soaking the shoulders & backstraps in a cooler full of ice & some salt, it draws whatever blood build up right out. So the only actual meat loss is the actual wound channel. But the fact that both shots 100% of the time in my experience, is a bang/flop DRT never knew what hit them. Thats a huge plus to me. I certainly do respect your perspective & input though I disagree. Thanks for your post.
I don't do my own butchering anymore because of space and time constraint. I won't argue about the shoulder shot because I know that it works! It was just ruining my burger meat! I haven't any deer make it more than 40yds with the behind the shoulder shot! The last 4 that I've killed, were 3 DRT and 1 made it 40yds with a great blood trail!

I don't do my own butchering anymore because of space and time constraint. I won't argue about the shoulder shot because I know that it works! It was just ruining my burger meat! I haven't any deer make it more than 40yds with the behind the shoulder shot! The last 4 that I've killed, were 3 DRT and 1 made it 40yds with a great blood trail!
Nice. I too love my deer burger. I do all of my own butchering & processing & packaging. Always have except for when I've had sausage or snack sticks made. I put a good 80lbs of 80/10/10 deer/fresh beef suet/bacon ends & 20-40lbs of reg burger mix with just deer & beef suet 80/20. I put 30-40lbs of deer BBQ in the freezer too. Last yr or the yr before, I got into making @Mnt monkey moms deer meat hash so I put away plenty of front shoulder, necks & rib meat & scraps from butchering to make that on the reg. I enjoy it for brunch with a few sunnyside-up farm fresh eggs on top a lil S&P & some of my fav Boarshead HotSauce. Now thats good eatin right there.
I'm having deer/bacon burger in Mac&Cheese today for lunch. Just got done with a 4lb deer/bacon burger meatloaf too. I rarely make backstraps or roasts anymore.

Nice. I too love my deer burger. I do all of my own butchering & processing & packaging. Always have except for when I've had sausage or snack sticks made. I put a good 80lbs of 80/10/10 deer/fresh beef suet/bacon ends & 20-40lbs of reg burger mix with just deer & beef suet 80/20. I put 30-40lbs of deer BBQ in the freezer too. Last yr or the yr before, I got into making @Mnt monkey moms deer meat hash so I put away plenty of front shoulder, necks & rib meat & scraps from butchering to make that on the reg. I enjoy it for brunch with a few sunnyside-up farm fresh eggs on top a lil S&P & some of my fav Boarshead HotSauce. Now thats good eatin right there.
I'm having deer/bacon burger in Mac&Cheese today for lunch. Just got done with a 4lb deer/bacon burger meatloaf too. I rarely make backstraps or roasts anymore.
I don't mind a little beef suet but I prefer 100% venison burger myself. I love venison chili and burgers! Your 80/10/10 sounds good though!

Back