Standardizing across brands

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the springs from some Brownells Spring stock I have. I used 2 sizes so one fits inside the other in a duplex fashion. We deepened the Primer Pocket. No changes were made to the hole or notch for the Spring and ball detent. The Addition of the heavier springs just help maintain the primer to o-ring compression for best seal. The o-ring was the primary improvement. I have been involved in at least 3 other rifles being modified. One would not shoot reliably with the stock flash hole so it was drilled out to .033 or .034. The changes are not all that hard and it really makes the rifle a lot better. Deepening the primer pocket just takes some time and patients to not go too far. There are no more stock plugs available to my knowledge.

Do you know anyone capable of duplicating a breech plug? With my wood stocked blued one I got a spare breech plug. Could be used as an exemplar without much trouble.
Does anyone install vent liners in them? I would think that would save them from eventual destruction through use.

You could have any good machinist install a Vent-liner in one you have or you could do it. There are some "tutorials" here on what is needed. It might take some digging to find one unless one of the guys that posted one chimes in. I started a thread sometime ago to see if there were many users on here to see how many KRB7 shooters we had that might want a new Plug and only had one response if memory serves. I have had a couple made that accommodated the o-ring and added a vent-liner. I do not know of any one that actually makes/sells them. The Problem you get into with getting a custom plug made is that most shops will run them on a CNC and the minimum order would be something like 200 to make it worth while. I saw no real interest so never pursued it from that stand point. I don't think I ever saw a KRB7 that had a wood stock. Is it laminated or Walnut? Could we see a pic of that?

So I did online chat at Remington Support. Hunter checked the serial number of my Ultimate, and says it left the factory as a stainless rifle. His personal opinion, when I shared the picture above, was they look better blued.
So there ya go.

Oh Man, NICE! I would love to have a stock set like that for mine!:drool: I never saw one with like that, just black and camo composites. Nice find! Should be pretty easy to make sure by looking in the barrel channel of the forend. But it sure does look like walnut.

It is a shame they did not do a better job on the rifle from the start. They really are a nice rifle once you get the action sealed. It would really be nice if it had a fast twist .45cal barrel for it. They are a tad heavy bot a great from a shooting Shack or Blind. I finally made meat with mine last year by taking a doe at 168 yards with a Lehigh .452 265gn CF. I only hunted the rifle 2 times. Got too many as it is to use everything.

Yeah, I hear you. I've gotten a good number of charcoal burners this year.
Is your season longer in the southern zone? I hunt the northern zone, and it's all of a week long.
Last season I had 1 rifle for 3 hunters. I think I've pretty well fixed that. Course it'll probably be years before my nephews come back up to hunt muzzleloader again.

I hunted for Many years in the Caskills but have not hunted up there in several years. I had a friend that was a member of a Slavak Club and I was able to hunt there for a long time as a guest. But when he passed away his wife sold the cottage and that all went away. I just never went back up to find a new place to go. I hunted a couple years up north at Kings Flow but never connected, was mostly looking for a big buck or a Bear. I go back home to SE Ohio every year and hunt the gun season there on our families farm. We can use straight walled cartridges now and I have a Ruger RA in 450Bushmaster. I took one doe with it and one with the KRB. But overall my rifle of choice is a Muzzleloader.

Looks like cerakote to me

That's what I thought too. That or Black Iced. I have not looked at any new Remmys in awhile so never saw that Barcode stamped on them either. Guess that's new?

That's what I thought too. That or Black Iced. I have not looked at any new Remmys in awhile so never saw that Barcode stamped on them either. Guess that's new?
I'm not sure when they started doing it, but it's been a few years now.

Latest posts

Back