Starting jag for powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota

Reaction score
I googled this today, but nothing came up. Can someone post a pic of a starting jag for the hollow point powerbelts, and then a pic of the jag for the aerotip. I think I have been using the wrong jag. :suspect:

Ya, I saw those, but which ones are for the hollow points, and which ones are for the aerotips? They have like 3 different kinds that come in the kit. I know which ones are for the aerotips I think, but there are 2 other kinds besides those. The ones that look like an arrow, and the ones that have the nipple thing that comes off the front.

the nipple would be for the HP's. I just use a concave tip for both.

FrontierGander said:
the nipple would be for the HP's. I just use a concave tip for both.
So using the concave tip on the HP, dont hurt the bullet at all?

Ummm...for my hollow points, I just use the end of the ram rod..it is slightly concave and has never presented a problem. that is another reason why I use the HP's...simplicity in the field while hunting is a good thing.

I just screw my patch jag onto my ram rod and push my HP's down the bore with it. It works fine since the end of the jag is flat like the HP. It also allows me to give the rod a few taps once the bullet meets the powder.

On my CVA I took the end of the extendable ramrod and to my drill press, starting with a 1/8 inch drill bore a shallow hole in its face, I then use a larger drill to drill a deeper but shallower opening. This is followed large drill making a flared shoulder that shoulders the bullet.
Your choice of drills will be determined by the bullet shape. I made mine deep enough to clear the point and use the shoulder to function as the bearing point.
Be careful not to drill to deep
That's what I did and it seems to work great
Some of the commercial jags will not slide into my Optima so that's why I chose to modify the ramrod

Latest posts

Back