Strange

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Long story, I'll make it quick!
Until I joined up with this outfit and read about your experiences with the with the dreaded "Crud Ring" I never had any kind of an issue with it but was shooting pellets. Since then it was happening quite regularly and even having changed to T7 loose, then stopped again. Now this weekend it was atrocious, even after pulling the breech plug and using a damp, not moist, Windex patch it was a job to get by the ring. I tried 3 different primers and still the same.
Now a little while ago I got to thinkin' that for the last few trips to the range I have made I've been going to the WMA range on Skyline Mountain and prior to that and this weekend it was at the lease which is at Lake Guntersville level. I'm wondering if altitude plays a role with the "RING".

Have you changed what you are using to clean your barrel and protect it afterwards? Some link the crud ring back to petroleum based residuals from oiling/preserving after cleaning.

Im interested. Do the guys at sea level get more or less crud ring than guys in the mountains? Im in Michigan at 800 feet. Never really had a problem with crud ring but I know its there. I always swab between shots. Spit patch. Im sure that if I didn't spit patch between shots I could have issues with bullet seating. I think my sabot or conical could get mildly deformed when seating by not swabbing. Not a good thing for accuracy I wouldn't think.

Sorry, Its 4:12 AM. Thought Id throw this comment before going to work.

What is the difference in altitude in those two ranges you mention?

My bet is that there is probably no chance that is making any difference.

IMO, altitude? Nope.

Swab and clean with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. All the other concoctions may work but, Butch's works best.
After using T7 pellets for a few years in an Ultimate BP Xpress, there's nothing yet that will beat Butch's for cleaning up T7.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/butchs-black-powder-bore-shine-cleaning-solvent-02949[/URL
IMO, altitude? Nope.

Swab and clean with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. All the other concoctions may work but, Butch's works best.
After using T7 pellets for a few years in an Ultimate BP Xpress, there's nothing yet that

I bet we could write a long chapter on this subject. I doubt elevation is much of a factor. I live about Ohio river level here in Burna, Ky. I get crud ring every tine i use it in my Hawken .45 T7-3f using from 35 gr to the top load. Powder is loose but my ignition is small pistol n rifle primers. I mean its nasty by the time i shoot the third shot. Now i shoot 75 gr of it in my Blk. Diamond .50 n never get the crud ring. The Hawken i have to clean it every other shot.

I am wondering if it the grade of steel the barrels are made of ? Both of my rifles are T/C the older Hawken & i don't know the steel it was made from. The Blk. Diamond is made of SS

I believe its more of the ignition type, #11 caps vs 209 primers along with humidity! Also the bore dimensions. My Whites are precise bores .451 is a true .451 caliber vs my Optima .50 which is .500 caliber vs White .504 (again true .504). Tight bores have more crud ring....
We have gone over this before, but there is no swabbing needed in a White rifle with a #11 cap using T7 powder!

I believe its more of the ignition type, #11 caps vs 209 primers along with humidity! Also the bore dimensions. My Whites are precise bores .451 is a true .451 caliber vs my Optima .50 which is .500 caliber vs White .504 (again true .504). Tight bores have more crud ring....
We have gone over this before, but there is no swabbing needed in a White rifle with a #11 cap using T7 powder!
My experience differs from yours. I have not had the crud ring in my . Blk. Diamond from any powder & or ignition source. I have had it with my Hawken T/C, with the FIE & with the Renegade 54. with small rifle/pistol primers , also musket caps. I have not had it in my duplexed loads in rock sparkers

Crud ring in my cva optima is worse the hotter the primer.
Fed 209a - unbbearable
w209 - bad
777 209 - minimal

Crud ring is definitely a strange thing. My Knight BK 92 gets crud ring so bad I (sometimes) have to pull the plug and push the patch thru because I can't pull it out. My Whites don't get crud ring at all. Both using T7 3F and #11 caps. The only thing that makes sense to me is the different breech plug designs have something to do with crud ring. Who knows lol

Back