Strange

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humidity to me makes more sense than elevation. Primer temp or type makes more sense than the other two. That said my experience with it is minimal. I tried T7 in a Mountaineer with a couple different 209's and the crud ring was terrible. Converted to a #11 ignition thinking that would solve all my problems. The crud ring was maybe a little better but not much, maybe an extra shot without swabbing. The blowby residue all over the rest of the gun from the #11 was bad enough that it was better to switch back to BH209. This was at $50/10 oz. At $80/8 oz. I'm glad I switched to smokeless. Someday I'll drift back towards traditionals and will find real black at that time.

Aside from my Patriot, which is shot strictly smokeless, I have plenty of Blackhorn for my other three inlines that have converted plugs and my Optima pistol also with a converted plug. I've been shooting T7 3f at the range thru the guns with converted plugs at the range. I just shoot, patch the animal, reload and shoot again. When I am wrapping up with each of those guns, I run two loads using BH thru each gun after the last patching from the T7. I do this to double check that things are still on with the BH since that's what I hunt with.

I'm with you on the smokeless though. I'm taking the Patriot to the cabin this summer to play with the ravens. I want to see how they like 200 grain XTPs. They're sort of used to me and the air rifle. Should be a big surprize.

I believe its more of the ignition type, #11 caps vs 209 primers along with humidity! Also the bore dimensions. My Whites are precise bores .451 is a true .451 caliber vs my Optima .50 which is .500 caliber vs White .504 (again true .504). Tight bores have more crud ring....
We have gone over this before, but there is no swabbing needed in a White rifle with a #11 cap using T7 powder!
I have to agree my preference was #11 over the 209. I had the m97 white tail hunter. 504 I can kick myself in the butt for selling it. I bought from rattus.

Crud ring? I use 209 Feds, then of course mean green, near boiling water, WD-40 just to displace water wipe it all off ram few times with pipe cleaners I have CVA Buck Horn Mag and the CVA HunterBolt never had an issue, then again I was taught windex wipe off is a field way of cleaning, deep clean at home is a much better solution.

When I shot T7, crud rings were always primer related.
I switched to Vari Flames, using small pistol primers, and got no crud ring.
This was in an Omega, using 70 - 90 grain charges of 2 and 3F Triple 7.

IMO, altitude? Nope.

Swab and clean with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. All the other concoctions may work but, Butch's works best.
After using T7 pellets for a few years in an Ultimate BP Xpress, there's nothing yet that will beat Butch's for cleaning up T7.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/butchs-black-powder-bore-shine-cleaning-solvent-02949
I'm definately going to try this. Also going to swab before shooting with alcohol to remove any residual oil.

Yes T7 n crud rings are different. I have shot my T/C Black Diamond XR SS up on Capitan Mts. in New Mexico 7500' elevation using 209 primers n no crud ring. My T/C Hawken always gets it no matter what ignition i use with the T7 or elevation its shot at. I think i will just use it in my Blk. Dia. n go back to black powder in the rest.

Back