T/C Encore blows up..pictures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Correct me if i'm wrong, but I dont see the underlug / hinge of the barrel anywhere in the picture?

One thing for sure, someone was watching over that fellow!

Man, that was horrible. I'm glad to hear the guy survived it.

I wonder what brand of barrel that was? I don't remember TC (or their custom shop) offering .257 STW or being ported like that.

tooldog

Unbelievable!!! Main thing....shooter wasnt permanently injured or even killed!!

That's unbelievable. I am just glad that the person will recover and be alright.

I saw the remains of a rifle blow-up this year during deer season in New York. A hunter loaded his M77 MkII Ruger .270 Win. with .308 Win. cartridges, with ugly results. The damage was not as extensive as the Encore pictures. In my opinion, the Ruger did a much better job of protecting the shooter. The barrel did not burst, and it's 6" further away from the shooter's face. The excess gas was vented down into the magazine, away from the shooter's face. If the Ruger shooter had been wearing glasses, he would have been uninjured.

If you've ever read Frank DeHaas' book on bolt actions, safety and shooter protection aspects of an action were always discussed. Granted, this type of thing is rare and usually due to shooter error, but I would not use an Encore for high pressure wildcat cartridges.

Latest posts

Back