Take off that ugly thimble!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I was thinking of removing the thimble from my Henry Ball. Man it just mess's up the clean lines of the Savage MLII. Plus I never use the factory rod at the range and usually stick it in the pack when hunting. It might even help accuracy without the thimble just hanging off the barrel.
What do you guys think of this idea?
Rman

Yes

I took mine off and it does look better without it. It looks like a big rifle, which it is. It does leave a shiny spot under it like the sights do when you take them off, but it is not too bad and could probably be made to look a little better. If you don't carry the rod in there just leave it off like you say. If (heaven forbid) you ever sell it you could just stick it back on. I may try just carrying my power rod this year and see how it goes.

Mike

Sure would look a hell of alot better, and probably help with accuracy to.

If the shiny spot was too mucha pain I think it could be matched up with a rubbing of JB bore compound.

How would they know. If you need warranty work slap it back on and good as new. :lol:

So what voids the warranty the thimble removal or the touch up with jb?, either way I hope this is a joke cause that is a bunch of BS.

Rifleman said:
So what voids the warranty the thimble removal or the touch up with jb?, either way I hope this is a joke cause that is a bunch of BS.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Your way to funny man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe I would hunt the gun in the same condition that I shoot it from the bench. If w/o the ramrod in the thimbles then hunt it that way.

I hunt and shoot w/o Ramrod in, so the thimble off is probably the way to go for me.

Mine aint so ugly Rifleman. Its there to stay for me. I was reared on the ole Flinters and sorta like maintaining a piece of that ML look which the Thimble holdin the Ole Ramrod gives it. Someone has to be different!! :lol: :lol:

I can tell an accuracy difference with and without the ramrod, but it was minimal enough that I opt for the convenience of leaving the rod under the barrel. I am even going to take the extra time to make my aftermarket stocks accept the rods when my projects get that far.

Back