New Build Arriving This Week-A Few Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, the wait is almost over for my new .45 Rem Ultimate Conversion. The rifle will have a new Brux 28" barrel with a 1:20 twist, a two stage Timney trigger, a Leupold VX-5 HD 4-20x52, plus the original Rem 700 receiver and stock. And I believe the ASG Ignition system will be the one installed. Now, I have been combing the threads here, and at Doug's and Hank's smokeless forums looking for various load combinations/recommendations. I have the following powders: IMR4198, H322, and N120. As for .452 bullets I have the following in 300gr: Fury Bonded, Hornady XTP Magnum, Speer Deep Curl. I have had a Savage ML II for a number of years, but now that I am going bullet to bore, a smaller diameter bullet, and a barrel that will handle a stiffer charge I would like your input on your most accurate/impact loads for deer anywhere from 30-300 yards+. I can tell you that I will be staying away from Parker bullets based upon my experience with them, and how their terminal performance is not what I'm looking for. I am open to any other bullets that you might suggest. I have heard very good things about the Pittmans as well. I would like to stick to the powders that I have listed above however. My builder suggested 80grns of H322 wit the Furys that I have, and that is probably where I will start. Ideally, I would like to see a good wound channel without it looking like a bomb went off. Over the years the 300gr Barnes Originals that I used with my Savage and my Rem Ultimate were tack drivers, but I am guessing they never really mushroomed well because they didn't usually leave the best blood trails. But they were exceptionally accurate and did the job. And before that I always used Powerbelts with my CVA's and round balls with more traditional muzzleloaders. Let me know what your starting/max charge would be with the powders I have listed and any 275/300gr bullets. Thank you all very much for any info you are willing to provide.

I've shot about all the bullets you have mentioned and I always seem to go back to the Fury. The Pittman are good but they can be fragile when pushed hard. I tried some of the Pittman Hardcore this summer they didn't shoot very well for me but I have buddies that love them. I just tried some Parker match hunter this week and I was not impressed with the groups at 200 yards. It sucks to spend over $100 a pop to try bullets but that's how we learn. Both of my guns love the Fury st2.

I also shot 4198 in my Scout and N120 in my bolt gun. Can't find 4198 around here so that's why I switched to the N120. I like it seems cleaner than the 4198 and seems to be more consistent when measuring out.

I found out that my bolt gun does not like the N120 in cold weather. I switched back to 4198 and driving tacks again.
Soooooo, you're saying that its your gun or the N120 that doesn't like cold weather? What effects exactly did you experience in the cold that you did not when it was warm? What kind of cold are you talking about ? 30's - teens - single digit?

I'm not exactly sure. This summer my bolt gun was driving tacks with the N120 . Started shooting a few weeks ago because our muzzleloader season comes in Dec 18th and I always check my point of impact when it gets colder. It was just spraying bullets and shooting to the right. So I thought what the hell try the 4198 and back to normal. I want to try the N120 without a wad after season but for now I'm sticking with 4198. I have buddies that shoot N120 in cold weather with no trouble so I'm assuming it's my gun that doesn't like the N120 in cold weather.

Latest posts

Back