TC 50 cal. Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad you are absolutely correct but I much prefer musket caps easier to handle.

#11 caps are easy to handle with a capper.

The problem with musket caps is sometimes the hammer doesn't line up with the nipple perfectly, and that's a pain with musket caps. The second problem is sometimes they're hard to find.

Surprisingly, the CCI mag #11 caps are just as hot as a musket cap, but the flame doesn't last as long.

What will I need to clean this gun (Totally) Oil, solvent and that stuff. I see TC has its own brand but what really works?

Baby bath temp soapy water "dawn for example" A plastic stiff bristle tooth brush, Alcohol to remove moisture out of bolster, I love barricade for the bore and external of the rifle & parts.

Let me make a video of this, I'll try to help save you from wasting $$$ of worthless crap.

Every company has their own products they push, thats just the way it is and we can't blame them for it, you are proud to offer what you think is best, but at times, it simply is not the best.

Yup! Soap and water is all you need with Pyro. Actually, it all you need for BP, and all the subs, except BH 209.

Jon will show you how to take the barrel off, and flush it in a bucket with a patch on the ramrod. It's easy and cleans it good. Flushes out the breech channel too.

The biggest deal I find is using that carb cleaner or alcohol as a final cleaning. It will make complete sense once I show you in a video of why we should do this.

Great
Never cleaned any kinda gun that used black powder. You guys spoiled me by having me  start out with 209  :D

If you can stand the smell get one cleaner that can do it all Ballistoil get a sray bottle fill it about a 1/4 full then add water that will clean anything except BH209 .  Then oil the weapon including the stock with straight Ballistoil.  Straight Ballistoil will clean BH 209 if you shoot that too !

Clyde said:
If you can stand the smell get one cleaner that can do it all Ballistoil get a spray bottle fill it about a 1/4 full then add water that will clean anything except BH209 .  Then oil the weapon including the stock with straight Ballistoil.  Straight Ballistoil will clean BH 209 if you shoot that too !
which Ballistoil do you use? I see they have 3-4 different products

I use Neo Ballistol Hausmittel in the bottle with the red label. Mix 50/50 with water for cleaning .

For all the nooks and crannies the fouling get into where a toothbrush don't reach (like inside the snail and the flash channel) carb cleaner works like a charm.

I even use carb cleaner to clean my revolvers cylinder on the inside.

There are better protectants than Ballistol. Ballistol cleans well because it's a surfactant that works on both oil and water because it's soluble in both. It also means that it doesn't repel water when used as a rust preventive. Barricade is better.

I agree with Pete , I've never had a gun rust that was 'oiled' with Ballistol.

In a pinch you can lube your patches with ballistol as well and it works very well.

I think its one product just different types of dispensers I have 1  large 16 oz bottle that I pour into a spray bottle for my water mix and a spray 8 oz bottle with a red tube that I use to lubricate.  Just make sure that before you got to the range that you shoot some GUNSCRUBBER in the barrel and fire channel to clear it out.  I've never had rust on any firearm that I have used it in and it cleans BP and substitutes like a dream.  But  that odor can get bothersome lol.

LOL true, like a carb or brake cleaner. But damn that stuff is awesome!

The reason its a great rust prevent is it is alkaline based rust is acidic it changes the ph balance if you want to get technical.

Latest posts

Back