TC Hawken (Stock 1:48 Twist)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I took the new to me .54 Cal TC Hawken out this morning for it’s first run, this is a completely stock 1:48 Twist Rifle, This is the rifle i bought from a friend here in Town, He bought the Gun as a Kit many years ago and put it together, you can’t tell it’s a Kit rifle it looks Factory done. I installed a Lyman 57SML Tang Peep and a Lyman 17AHB front Globe Sight and was using a Lee Shaver fine bead BPCR insert, I swapped out the stock Lyman 57SML Aperture for a Williams 1” Target Aperture.

The bullets i used are my Lyman Plains, they are .85 in Length, i lubed and then sized these bullets to .542, My powder charge was 80 weight Grains of Swiss 2F, i used a 1/2 of a .28 Gauge Nitro card seated firmly on the powder, then a Wool .58 Cal OP Wad on top of the Nitro Card, and seated the bullet. This being the first outing i had no idea where the rifle would hit so i chose to shoot a little closer, My Target was At least 50 yards, maybe 60, I shot my first shot at an old target, it was about 10” Low, i made a sight adjustment, hung a fresh new target, and shot 4 times. Other than the 1 i dropped out of the Group she shot well for her Maiden Voyage :yeah: After getting home and giving it a thorough cleaning, i polished the bore with Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound, about 150 Strokes to help Slicken, and smooth it out (This can improve accuracy, and Makes cleaning way easier) This rifle was shot very little and was properly cared for (sure nice to find 1 like this!!) The bore looked brand new when i bought it.

All in all i am very happy with it, And here again the Lyman Plains bullet came through.
blvijFF.jpg

gUfJyDI.jpg

fMP4rJK.jpg

52Bore said:
Looks good and shoots good !

For a stock TC Barrel i am very pleased with it! I figure the next outing I’ll try these same Lyman Plains bullets sized to .533 and Paper Patched, like i did the New Englander, it shot them well, I can’t imagine this rifle not? But if it don’t, I’ve seen stranger things! :lol: I sure didn’t have this kind of luck with the stock TC’s that had the QLA Muzzle, I don’t own any of those anymore. I think the key with the QLA Muzzled rifles is to NOT mess wih an OP Wad, Dump the powder in and stuff a lubed bullet down on top of it. I’ve seen to many benefits of using a Good OP Wad to not have the option of using them

Lewis,

I believe the Great Plains bullet is .548, do you have any issues sizing it to .533.

I've sized quite a few bullets down .008 but never squeezed one down .015

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis,

I believe the Great Plains bullet is .548, do you have any issues sizing it to .533.

I've sized quite a few bullets down .008 but never squeezed one down .015

Sax, You are correct the ‘Driving Band’ is .548ish, The Lyman Plains bullet is the same Concept Loading wise as a TC Maxi ball, The base is .539ish for easy starting. PLENTY of Lube is the key here. I use an RCBS Lube Pad i designated for lead bullets, when sizing down this far i use a liberal amount, make sure the bullet is coated well, I have Never had the slightest problem (no finning, etc.) they slide through like butter. I have a .492-.493 sizer that i made from an old .448, Back when i was playing with the Lee S&W 500 bullet i sized lots of them down from their .502-.503 to .492-.493

Latest posts

Back