TC Seneca .36 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerhunter5555

Reaction score
Picked one up in trade and was looking for some info. on it. I thought I might try to knock some squirrels down with it. Looking for some info on loads. What is the twist rate on these? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erich

The .36 caliber Seneca has a 1-48 twist I believe. Which by the way is a great roundball twist for that caliber. I would try the lighter loads first. After all squirrels are easy to kill. And usually the lighter loads are more accurate. But keep us posted as to what you discover.. a very interesting rifle.

You will find 40 grains is pretty hot for squirrel hunting, not much left once the ball hits. Play with the gun and see if you can get it to shoot with a lighter charge. In one book I have the author found that in his 36 caliber rifle the only way he could get the vel down and accuracy was to go with 15 grains of 4F. If I remember right, the vel was just under 1000 fps. I wouldn't recommend going higher with 4F either. We tried it in a friends 36 and it worked.

My most accurate powder charge for my Seneca is 35 grain Goex 3F. I have also used Pyrodex P but the Goex is a little more accurate. Even with that charge it will behead a squirrel.

Latest posts

Back