Teflon Protectors

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Awhile ago I had some work done by Bob Bowers on one of my White ML that included a teflon job done by Black Ice. When I received my rifle back from Bob, it included a piece of hose between the plunger and breech plug. Once of the nice touches that Bob does to help insure your rifle is packed properly in shipping.

Well in talking to Bob about the Teflon Coating he mentioned to me that he either puts some extra breech plug grease or electrical tape underneath the BreechPlug. The reason for this is he noticed that after awhile the teflon finish will wear away from the flame of the #11 or Musket Caps.

So when I went shooting the first time with my White rifle to see how good a job Bob Bowers did (Which was much better than what I expected). I realized I forgot the electrical tape. Well I took everything out of my tackle box and found the piece of hose that Bob sent back with the rifle. After examining it, I got to thinking and found out that it fit just right underneath the breech plug and it did not impact the plunger from striking the breech plug and ignighting the #11 cap. The only problem with the hose was it was a little narrow, so after a few shots I had to push the hose back underneath the breech plug. No big deal at all really.

So that got me thinking, I knew what I needed but where was I to get a hose. Well one day riding my rider lawnmower, one of my kids left the garden hose out and being of the lazy person that I am, said to myself, you got plenty of clearance just go over the hose. Well, lets just say I've been wrong before! :oops: The good news was I now had 4 feet of hose to make some Teflon Protectors with. My wife said I planned the whole thing??? I guess we've been married too long. So, my first cut was to cut the hose to fit flush against the receiver and up to where the plunger straightens out. The next cut was to cut it wide enough so that the rubber was flush with each side of the receiver.

It may not be fancy, but it works and to boot the hose is black in color so it matches the Teflon finish. :) If anybody would like a couple, send me a private email with your mailing address and I'll ship them out to you.

If interested, you better email me quick. Cause once I sell the patent to White, the price will go up! :lol: :lol:

Ed

:D Great pointer there Ed!! Thanks for sharin.

I just saw a news bulletin that all the Home Depots, Lowes and all other Major Large Chains in the Greater Easton, PA area have experienced a RUN ON HOSE and suffering a severe shortage!!! The local media are puzzled why. :lol:

Best of luck in your new venture! :D

:D These little individual tips we post here go a long way in making this a very valuable Board. I remember sometime back on another Board I learned of the RWS No. 1075 #11 caps for use in my White Super 91. Man O Man was that a valuable pointer I picked-up after trying some of those CCI's etc.! :lol: I hate to say it but I think Ole .451 Mehlig coughed that one up to me too!!!! :lol:

:D Thanks again Ed for sharing some of your xperienced based pointers here.

I also remember Super 91 aka Bob Bowers providing me some excellent cleaning advice for my White which I printed and kept copy with my Owner's Manual. There is a wealth of good info many of us have to share (not found in Manuals etc). :D

Latest posts

Back