Testing out Lee REAL’s with BlackMZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsrocket1

Reaction score
I got into muzzleloading last fall just to learn something new. I did really well with my Lee TL452-230-TC cast bullets in a T/C yellow sabot and 80g Blackhorn 209.
Slide2_zpsde4d5cc1.png

I went through 3 bottles of BH209 with 1 misfire out of 200 with W209 and CCI209M primers and the original hex breechplug with a small metal washer in the primer hole as a shim.
But at $.50 for the powder, $0.10 for the sabot, I wanted to try to shoot a bit more economically. I know about the complaints with Alliant BlackMZ, but at half the cost of BH209, I thought I’d try it out. It does meter poorly, but if you pour it into the powder measure gently, don’t shake it, just level off the top, you can get within about 5% repeatability. A dry patched bore and a really firm seat is also needed. Here’s what I got after ¾ of a pound of load development:
80gV_BlackMZ_sm_zps5009111c.png

Now for the bullets. I got a 250g Lee 50 cal REAL mold this month and started casting with it using pure lead @ 750 degrees. The higher temperature really helps get rid of the wrinkles.
85402aaf-b0f7-4e40-b41f-df6707551346_zps90b701b9.jpg

I used a mix of 60/40 beeswax/vaseline as lube. The consistency is like Chapstick, but it held in place without running, even in 80 degree heat.

5D1F4B88-885F-4504-AF11-E1A0D686BA16_zpsu0ptnklm.jpg

Although the bullets seated through the first 2 bands easily, the top band needed some persuasion.

1DD06158-E77D-4264-94AF-4E22361C21CB_zpsu4umdrae.jpg

I made my own over powder card with a piece of ½” pipe sharpened with a Dremmel.

9C16BD21-CD6E-47E8-887C-09617EC49DC9_zpsutktzxof.jpg

My first range trip started with 50g and 55g (volume).
Slide7_zpscbb3e227.png

I thought I’d try multiple loads the next time out and see how accuracy progressed.

250gREAL_BlackMZ_zps59375bae.png

While 80g looked pretty good and would pack a nice punch for hunting, I think I’ll stay around 70g since I don’t need the power and am really looking for an inexpensive way to shoot this gun and still be semi accurate.

Once past the pounding for the first couple of inches, the bullet slid down the barrel like it was on rails. Interestingly, if I left the primer in the breechplug, the seal was so good, I couldn’t ram the bullet below the scope mount, the ramrod sprung back up like it was pushing against a spring. Removing the primer first allowed air to escape through the flash hole.

So even if a bullet or powder is maligned, it doesn't mean it won't shoot good, you just have to be persistent and find the right load and technique. Of course, you first need to ensure your gun/scope is not the bad variable to begin with.

$0.17 powder, $0.03 primer, 2.5 cents for the lead = 23 cents per shot, about the same price as 2-3 22LR bullets nowadays :D

that is some darn good shooting... and that would make a good deer load.

Those bullets bring back memories! My late grand father who got me into muzzleloading used to make these bullets and shot many deer with them!

Looks like you have mastered the art of making bullets great job!

I have killed a number of deer with REAL conical bullets as have my friends. I cast them in both 50 and 54 caliber. I found you can't push them fast, but what they hits sure takes a whack!

cayuga said:
I have killed a number of deer with REAL conical bullets as have my friends. I cast them in both 50 and 54 caliber. I found you can't push them fast, but what they hits sure takes a whack!
How fast can you drive those REALs??

Back