That's a Good Gator ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
This gator is a cannibal and eats smaller gators. "Good Boy!"

Cannibal-alligators-feast-on-smaller-gators-at-Florida-reserve.jpg

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/04/14/Cannibal-alligators-feast-on-smaller-gators-at-Florida-reserve/7031460659148/

This was taken at a nature preserve south of Lakeland, FL where I have duck hunted in the past. It borders Lake Hancock which has the greatest density of alligators I have seen.

Here's a pic I took of a small one aggressively approaching me while I was in a 12' layout boat duck hunting about 200 yds. from the creek running through that area.

hancoc10.jpg

https://servimg.com/view/19440265/14

Id like to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes and shoot him with my ole 45.

Bears do the same thing. It's smart though. A bore will eat cubs not for just a meal, but to bring the sow back in heat.

BigAl52 said:
Id like to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes and shoot him with my ole 45.
We welcome gator-killin' "country boys."

Unlike a lot of people, I'm not a big fan of gator meat .. except the cheek meat. But the nice thing about gator tail is you get 4 long strips of white meat that tastes a bit like frog legs but not as good.

PS: This is the layout boat I used to duck hunt when I took the photo of the small gator.

ShM-PredNysWeb.jpg

Bob
I think your Dog is neat and nice looking. I had some gator tail one time when I went to Jacksonville to see someone. I thought it was pretty good. Taste like Chicken.:lol:

Nice pics! 

It is gator mating season now. They get crazy aggressive this time of year. 
Even the little ones pull in close pushing territory like they are mini-Godzillas. 
Good time to see them. Not a good time to be unobservant.

That sure is a good dog, Nyssa. Who made the boat she is on? 

I accidentally clicked onto your photo bucket. You are the real hunting deal! :bow:

That's a Bankes' scull boat made in Port Rowan, Ontario. It's the only scull boat that can't sink .. I tried. I filled it with water until no air was trapped and was still able to paddle it to shore. The gunnels were below the water line. It only has about a 6" freeboard so it's important to have good flotation.

WetTrip3web.jpg

Nyssa is taught to lie flat on the floor in front of me and not raise up when I do (or she'd get her head blown off). When you get in range of rafted ducks, you sit up and shoot, then Nyssa jumps in and retrieves them.
It's a good set-up but old codgers with shoulder problems have to retire from it when they're too worn out to get back to shore. I haven't used it in the last 3 years. :no:

They know I taste bad. Besides, the duck hunting takes place when the ducks come down after Thanksgiving. Then the water is colder. Gators get lethargic in the cold and don't feed much.

Reptiles are predictable. Give me a 40 degree temp and I am no longer worried.

Thanks for the boat info!

Back