The Firepower of Traditional Muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
In the thread "For those who like reenactments..for real," in the Hunting forum, here, a wonderful South African site is listed. All those "Boers" (farmers) and Voortrekkers (Pioneers) in the modern photos made me think about the 1838 Blood River battle between the Zulu and the Voortrekkers in the area that would eventually become South Africa.
empty.gif

In 1838, the Voortrekkers were traveling north and east to get away from the hegemony of the British back in Cape Town. The were in wagons similar to our Conestoga wagons. Under attack, they would go into "lagger", the same as circling the wagons in our wild west. They were carrying smooth bore flintlocks. Some of the wealthier Voortrekkers had Doubles. They were all of large caliber: around .75 and bigger. Most were heavy full-stocked guns with long barrels. Some Brown Besses or similar probably also went along.

It seems that Dingane, the chief of the Zulus had an inclination to exterminate the Voortrekkers, so he sent between 10-20,000 Zulu warriors to attach the wagon train. There were just 450-475 Voortrekkers, including women and children, led by Andreas Pretorious.

The Voortrekkers put a belt of thorny acacia trees all around the circled wagons and left easily moved acacias here and there to let the horseman ride out from the circle and execute lightening strikes on the Zulu.

Some 20,000 or so Zulus versus 450 Voortrekkers. Who would you put your odds on? The Zulus attacked and the Voortrekker men fired! The women and children reloaded the long guns. The Zulus struggled to get through the acacias and were hit by volley after volley of lead balls. During a break in the action, some Voortrekker horsemen would ride out and strike the Zulu and come back in for protection.

It is estimated that the Zulu lost around 3000 casualties. They were thoroughly beaten and the blood that could be seen in the river resulted in the name of the battle.

There are some interesting parallels between our wagon trains to settle the West and the Voortrekkers move north to establish their own country. A big difference between the two migrations: the Voortrekkers took a much higher proportion of casualties in their migration. Therefore, there are very few of the Dutch family names that came down through history. Those Dutch names, Botha, Coetze, Pretorious, Visser, were augmented later when the French Huguenots were driven from France and Germany, with many settling in South Africa. I can't tell you how many people I know there by the names of du Plessis, du Toit. Even the last white president, de Klerk was originally du Clerque.

End of story, for now.
Ron

So what happened to the rest of the 17000 Zulus did they run and hide or stay there for another ass kickin. You left me hangiin and inquiring minds want to know.

The settlers won at Blood River because they put out thorns and went into lager.   Yep, thorns hinder barefoot troops.   The Brits lost at Isandlwanh because they did not lager and did not put out broken glass.  The Brits lost about 1,200  troops.  

The Zulus under Cetshwayo were armed wth the assegais, a short stabbing type sword, and the knobkerry, a club.   They had to get in close:   They did that at Isandlwanh.  

i have visited Isandlwanh, Rorke's Drift and Ulundi.

Al, the surviving Zulus did run and wade across the river that became Blood River.

Falcon is correct about the later Anglo-Zulu war that ended about 1884. Some 20,000 Zulu attacked at Isandlwana as it became dark. The incompetent British brass ignored warnings about the indefensible location of their camp, their unpreparedness, their dearth of guards, and the potential of a sneak, night attack by the Zulus. And, the paid the price - an entire battalion wiped out. Some of the surviving British soldiers climbed the nearby hill to escape the carnage and, when trapped near the ledge, either fell trying to climb down or jumped. Either was better than being captured by the Zulu. The Zulu could make a captive quite uncomfortable, developing the Assegai (short spear) colonoscopy.

The next day, about 13,000 Zulus went up against Rorke's Drift, a little farmhouse turned into a military hospital. Rorke's Drift was quite close to Isandlwana so they knew about the attack and were prepared. Some 140 British soldiers with the new Martini Henry 577/450 single shot rifle fought off the huge number of Zulu. It was purported that the hefty 45 cal bullet would go through one Zulu and into another. I have a box of 577/450 cartridges made by Kynoch in the 1940s. They are whopping big cartridges!

As the Martini Henry heated up, the casing would stick in the chamber. The next model of the Martini Henry had a longer lever for ejecting the casing.

The Zulu had a few flintlocks and percussion rifles that they used to take pot-shots at the British, but their shooting skills were limited.

Mr. falcon, I had a work-site field station within view of Isandlwana and spent about 4 months working there. I hope you enjoyed your visit there as much as I did.

Although many think that the Dutch were invading native lands like the Europeans usurping Native American Lands, here, it really is not the same. The Zulu are derived from East Africans who spread south. The Zulus and Dutch arrived in South Africa about the same time. According to some histories, the Dutch saw few people and no villages as they migrated north. Shaka Zulu and Dingane may have exterminated a million or more of the local aborigines and other tribes. They killed the men and kidnapped the women. The boys were forced into the Zulu army. The Veld, or high grass/shrublands, were depopulated when the Dutch arrived.
Ron

One heroic fact about the battle of Rorke's Drift is that 11 Victoria crosses were awarded, the most ever given out to one regiment for one battle in Britain's history. The Victoria Cross is the equivalent of our Medal of Honor. Also, VCs were not awarded to deceased soldiers, only survivors.

Seventeen of the 141 soldiers were killed leaving 124 eligible for the award. For the whole Anglo-Zulu war only 23 VCs were awarded.

Current day Rorke's Drift:

rorkesdrift.jpg

Seventeen of the 141 soldiers were killed leaving 124 eligible for the award. For the whole Anglo-Zulu war only 23 VCs were awarded.
Trivia:

One of those Victoria Crosses was awarded to Corporal Schiess, the Swiss NCO of the Natal Native Contingent. Schiess had been hospitalized for a wound suffered at Sihyao's kraal.

As many may know, James Michener wrote historical novels. "The Covenant" is a history of South Africa in his typical, novel format. I am impressed as to the accuracy of the book, given that it is fictionalized history. It really does capture the adventure, tensions and conflicts of SA very well.
Ron

The whole history of the Zulu nation is told in a book titled "The Washing of the Spears" by Donald R. Morris, a former CIA agent.

I believe he learned the Zulu language in order to properly background the factual events. It's a long but very interesting study of a short-lived empire.

Thanks Ron you old guys tell some pretty interesting stories. That's why I like hangin out with old guys. I just learned a little more in world history. I was not much interested in that in school only US history which they don't teach much of anymore. Al

Latest posts

Back