The Frankenflinter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting - must have taken some time to plan and gather the parts... What caliber? Please report back when you've got a range report. Thanks
50 caliber. I have been wanting a flintlock rifle for a while now but the cost has kept me away until I found the barrel for sale on the other muzzleloader site for pretty cheap and that's what got me thinking about putting a rifle together.
From all my reading, I know that CVA parts are sorta interchangeable which got the wheels turning.
I bought the barrel, found the stock on eBay for 50 bucks and the used lock I got from another guy on the muzzleloader website for a good deal. A few new parts from Deercreek Products and done.
I think I paid about $ 350.00 total for everything. Took me a couple weeks to fit all the parts together.

Deermanok, nice job!! I did the same 3 yrs. ago on a percussion hawken style. Had ab old 50 cal douglas barrel Mr. Hoyt rebored and rifled to 54 an L&R cap lock davis dbbl set trigger, track of the wolf under rib, thimbles long tang, german silver patch box and iron butt plate. I fabricated the trigger guard from flat stock the front site is a brass plate with a silver quarter cut to shape and silver soldered on. The rear site was a triditions type but turned into a peep with the top cut out with a small v I can use the peep hole but the cutout allows me to see the whole target. The stock was formed from black walnut planks i glued up and cut, gouged, rasped, filed and sanded till I was satisfied. I have a nice drop at the comb and put in a 1/4" castoff. lastly a poured pewter nose cap. I like your name but mine could only be a Frankincap but I sure do like the Frankinflint!!!

Deermanok, nice job!! I did the same 3 yrs. ago on a percussion hawken style. Had ab old 50 cal douglas barrel Mr. Hoyt rebored and rifled to 54 an L&R cap lock davis dbbl set trigger, track of the wolf under rib, thimbles long tang, german silver patch box and iron butt plate. I fabricated the trigger guard from flat stock the front site is a brass plate with a silver quarter cut to shape and silver soldered on. The rear site was a triditions type but turned into a peep with the top cut out with a small v I can use the peep hole but the cutout allows me to see the whole target. The stock was formed from black walnut planks i glued up and cut, gouged, rasped, filed and sanded till I was satisfied. I have a nice drop at the comb and put in a 1/4" castoff. lastly a poured pewter nose cap. I like your name but mine could only be a Frankincap but I sure do like the Frankinflint!!!
Sounds like you built a really nice rifle. I'd love to see a few pictures if you can post some.

Thanks, how did yours shoot? I'd make a bet that first one going off would about bust your bottons with pride. She sure looks great!!

Latest posts

Back