This Morning's Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
Turkeys and hogs are legal to hunt right now so I went to some unrestricted public land. Right at daybreak I saw 2 small hogs (~50lbs. each) 150 yards down a sandy road. I had a shotgun with <a href='/tags/5' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #5'>#5</a> shot but thought it would work if I got close enough. I tried to be quiet but the wind wasn't ideal and they spooked when I got to 60 yards. I followed them into a palmetto jungle but they weren't laying low, they were gone. STRIKE 1
I came back out to the road and looked back towards where I had started and there were 2 bigger hogs down there. I should have stayed where I was. Anyway, they spotted me as soon as I stepped out and they were gone. STRIKE 2
I walked along looking for hogs when I heard a flopping noise about 30 yards back. It was a roosted turkey bailing out of a tree. I tried to make out whether it was a gobbler or hen and by the time I saw his 5" beard, he was out of range. STRIKE 3

Doggedly, I continued along until I heard grunting off to my left. I pushed through some brush and there was a huge ~220 lb. boar glaring at me with all the hair on his back standing straight up. I didn't attempt to shoot him with # 5 shot at 40 yards because he could have torn me up. Luckily, he busted through some thick willows and was out of sight in a heartbeat. My heart was really beating, I tell you. STRIKE 4

I left the road and walked west down a dim trail for 1/2 mile when I came to a narrow place where two marshes joined. I started slogging across the boggy gumbo and jumped a pair of black-bellied whistling ducks followed by a drake wood duck. I bogged down in 15" mud so I turned around and made my way back to the truck.  This was not Strike 5 since duck season is closed.

Within 100 yards of the truck I saw a turkey feeding in a grassy area. I made a good stalk and got within 25 yards when it turned and I could see it was a hen. STRIKE 5

Although I came away empty-handed, it was the most game I have seen in a morning's hunt in several years so I didn't feel cheated. But I did feel like the guy who brought a knife to a gunfight. Next week I'm going back with a rifle and sit on that road with a rest. My luck will be that nothing will show up.  :Questuon:

That sounds like many of my hunts . But its all good, beats setting around the house watching reruns on tv.

Well better than me. I'm going Mushroom Hunting where I've seen Hogs. Government told me they have eradicated the Hogs there but I'm sure I will see some just can't hunt them.

oneshot

oneshot
What part of Missouri are you from ? We lived in Shannon county outside of Summersville
Mark

Back