Thompson center Nikon xr inline 3x9x40

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klucas

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a Thompson center 28in stainless barrel with Nikon xr inline 3x9x40. I'm using t/c factory base with weaver high rise scope mount. I'm shooting triple seven pellets at 100 grains with a 250 grain powerbelt. I Have 1 1/2 or better groups at 50 yards. My scope is almost maxed out on elevation at 50 yards I'm dead bullseye with 14 clicks left to top. I've used this combo for years on my traditions and my cva. I've never seen a gun need this much adjustment or so close to being maxed out. I clean in between shots. Has anyone seen this before? what should I look for ? Is this a bad thing? I want my equipment perfect. Thank so much

Not uncommon on some tc . Easiest fix is get Burris signature zee rings and you can use inserts to get 20 moa back or 80 clicks.
Losing high rise rings will be a blessing also.

Should I send this gun back to t/c ? I want to make sure barrel is not bent. This thing wasn't cheap and aggravates me that I'm even having to worry.

I really doubt anything wrong with gun. The profile of barrel where scope base mounts tend to cause you to lose elevation adjustment.
A quality base and Burris signature zee rings will fix it.
The high rise Mount is definitely a negative for accuracy and powerbelts aren't your best option.

Pull the scope down to the base. Check to see if the base is signficantly canted with respect to the barrel. Buy some decent rings that will mount your scope as close to the barrel as possible, probably Medium but check before you buy. Install your rings and then lap them. Install your scope. Reshoot a group and see where you are. Try different projectile/powder combinations to see if your rifle has a preference.

I had this happen before. It was the rings. I ended up getting new rings, but If you switch them around, (front/back) I bet it solves your elevation issue.

bestill said:
Not uncommon on some tc . Easiest fix is get Burris signature zee rings and you can use inserts to get 20 moa back or 80 clicks.
Losing high rise rings will be a blessing also.

Losing high-rise rings is not a blessing for some of us. Quick detach rings don't work with shooters that hunt without deer blinds and often need a real quick shot. Some of us need see-thru rings on bad weather days, to allow us a real quick shot. Even scope covers take time to remove and the see-thru scope covers on my $225 scopes aren't very clear. They're rather useless.

Switch those rings around front-to-back. Test it afterwards.

The fella opened thread with a problem and i made suggestions.
If he wants high rise then have at it.
I will stay with low as possible scope mounting for precision accuracy. And if i dont get a kill because of weather issue or not enuf time to make a quality shot im good with that.
My opinion is a quick shot in bad weather is a low quality shot.
I will leave the quick shooting to my shotgun and rabbit hunting..

Thanks for all help. I will switch scope rings around this weekend and retest. Also will try blackhorn 209 on separate test.

Latest posts

Back