Shooters World Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I’ve used this powder twice once with volume charges not great at all . So I set my measure to 90 grains then weighed my charges finally setting on a weight of 73.1 took it to the range and using in my sidelock put 3 out of 4 in the same hole with 4th about 1/2 inch away at 50 yds. Went to 100 and hit bottom of a 5x5 plate constantly. Put up paper target shot a 1.9 inch 3 shot group . This was 4 inches low and 3 right . So I began to adjust but I ran out of my weighed loads . Tried a few volume loads back to not great .

Now as a comparison same gun but with 90 grains volume of Goex same group at 50 but 3 inches high but at 100 group 1.65 and 1.01 and centered .

So what I have found is the SW powder must be in my opinion be weighed for consistency. I threw 2 light charges because my measure got plugged by the kernels. It handles much easier on my scale than 777 . I don’t believe it is as powerful as Swiss or Triple 7 but it is much cleaner and when fired from my Traditions sidelock is much cleaner and did not exhibit a crud ring.

I am going to load up about 30 charges at 100 gr and try it in my Traditions Tracker which is setup for musket cap and concentrate at 100 yds.

I’m curious as to what you guys that use this powder are seeing if it works well in the Tracker I’m getting sold on this as an alternative to Triple 7 as some of my ml just don’t like the stuff.

Personally, I haven't tried the shooters world stuff and honestly have no desire to try it. I'm pretty much about extracting the most power out of a load as possible and T7 fffg and Bh209 do that. I shoot the T7 at the range and BH in the stand. Yes, the T7 has some challenges that come with its use but I simply accept them as part of the range program. Specifically, I am referring to the crud ring and the need to swab between shots, which, at the range, is no big issue for me.

T7 and BH209 powders are the most powerful powders we can, as muzzleloader shooters, use while shooting in-lines with closed breeches. Other in-lines may be restricted to using T7 or other subs and true blacks and I think most side-locks will benefit from using T7 or other granular products which allows the shooter to tailor loads to a specific gun. T7 pellets, or any other pellet for that matter, simply doesn't allow for much customizing powder charges.

Weighing charges is an individual preference. I weigh everything for every gun. You haven't mentioned what projectile you're shooting and whether its in a sabot or not and I think you'll find that bullets are a lot like the powders in that not every gun will like every bullet pushed down the barrel. I feel that weighing powder eliminates most chances of a bad load once a bullet has been determined the best for your needs.

In the end, the person, the gun, the powder, the bullet, the sabot or patch and the ignition source all play into one deep rabbit hole that's not only challenging but very rewarding when everything comes together.

Personally, I haven't tried the shooters world stuff and honestly have no desire to try it. I'm pretty much about extracting the most power out of a load as possible and T7 fffg and Bh209 do that. I shoot the T7 at the range and BH in the stand. Yes, the T7 has some challenges that come with its use but I simply accept them as part of the range program. Specifically, I am referring to the crud ring and the need to swab between shots, which, at the range, is no big issue for me.

T7 and BH209 powders are the most powerful powders we can, as muzzleloader shooters, use while shooting in-lines with closed breeches. Other in-lines may be restricted to using T7 or other subs and true blacks and I think most side-locks will benefit from using T7 or other granular products which allows the shooter to tailor loads to a specific gun. T7 pellets, or any other pellet for that matter, simply doesn't allow for much customizing powder charges.

Weighing charges is an individual preference. I weigh everything for every gun. You haven't mentioned what projectile you're shooting and whether its in a sabot or not and I think you'll find that bullets are a lot like the powders in that not every gun will like every bullet pushed down the barrel. I feel that weighing powder eliminates most chances of a bad load once a bullet has been determined the best for your needs.

In the end, the person, the gun, the powder, the bullet, the sabot or patch and the ignition source all play into one deep rabbit hole that's not only challenging but very rewarding when everything comes together.
Agreed, I was using 250 gr Hornady xtp in red crush rib sabot.
Fffg Triple 7 powder is to me a frustrating powder it will exhibit great accuracy but I’ve found over the last two years that after a half a bottle or about 40 100gr charges it gets goes in the toilet. I always place the seal and tighten the lid on any unused powder I’ll even turn the tub over gently to move and fines around but if the above is done and its over a year old accuracy, in some of my rifles, goes in the toilet. There are two exceptions a Wolverine and a Wolf. I don’t know if it’s the breech plugs bringing the powder on top of the primer for faster ignition (I suspect it is)but I’ve seen this for 3 years since bh209 went price crazy. So I’m trying to get more consistency thru a complete bottle.

Latest posts

Back