Thompson Renegade will not cock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanG

Reaction score
evening

Hoping I can get some guidance here on my Thompson Center Renegade 54 cal. I cannot get the hammer to stay in the full cocked position. I have removed the lock and it will not go to the full cocked position when it is out of the rifle. It looks like the hammer spring and the spring guide are jamming up on the screw hole that keeps the lock secured the stock.

This is an older Renegade with a 5 digest serial number and no warnings engraved on the barrel.

It feels like I can’t pull the hammer far enough back to allow the sear to engage. It’s very close tho

evening

Hoping I can get some guidance here on my Thompson Center Renegade 54 cal. I cannot get the hammer to stay in the full cocked position. I have removed the lock and it will not go to the full cocked position when it is out of the rifle. It looks like the hammer spring and the spring guide are jamming up on the screw hole that keeps the lock secured the stock.

This is an older Renegade with a 5 digest serial number and no warnings engraved on the barrel.

It feels like I can’t pull the hammer far enough back to allow the sear to engage. It’s very close tho
Check adjustment screw behind triggers , it can shift ! Also back off on the screw you mentioned as it does not get tightened real tight ,just snug ./Ed

I have done that. It won’t cock when the lock is out of the rifle. It looks like as I pull the hammer back that the hammer spring is being raised and the hammer spring guide rod is hitting on the lock frame and won’t allow it to go to the full cocked position

I will try and attach a photo or 2

First photo is hammer all the way down. Second is in half cock and the third is attempting to fill cock. You can see the hammer spring is hitting on the frame and it won’t quite go to full lock

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpeg
    IMG_2880.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Kind of looks like worn parts. My spring guide hits that screw boss some, too. All those parts look worn to me. Sorry, my pics get a little blurry when zoomed cuz this iphone sucks.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks for that. I did order a new spring guide and hammer spring last night. I agree my parts look worn and abused. Not sure what has happened there.

I have had issues with the hammer not cocking completely since I bought the rifle years ago. I’m hoping I don’t a whole new lock

Thanks for that. I did order a new spring guide and hammer spring last night. I agree my parts look worn and abused. Not sure what has happened there.

I have had issues with the hammer not cocking completely since I bought the rifle years ago. I’m hoping I don’t a whole new lock
Try taking a fine (diamond?)file and dressing up edges and smoothing any surfaces that make contact. Polishing any wear surfaces with steel wool and metal polish can make a big difference too.

Will try and clean up the edges a bit and see what that does. Pics to follow

Thanks guys

Where can I find a new sear lever? The hammer spring and rod I ordered were off of eBay and come with a sear spring cup and spring

It appears as someone has “worked” the sear. But this would not explain why the hammer spring is hitting on the lock itself

Attachments

• IMG_2883.jpeg
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 0
Look at the pictures the other gentleman posted and you can see the end of the spring has a finger on the end that engages and yours does not .It has been modified or completely worn out if you replace that and polish the other parts you should get it working again

Want a give a huge THANK YOU to everyone who replied. After a few times pulling and polishing the hammer spring and guide I have it functioning properly!!!!!!!!!!

Just used a find diamond stone and cleaned everything up. Works like a charm

Again thanks all!!!

Back