Time to Test the 1:48 Twists Capabilities

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually just use a 9" paper plate as a target out to 100 yards and when the bead covers the plate I shoot. Yes I understand the whole aim small-miss small concept that's why I believe a finer bead would be beneficial. I'm already using the Lyman 17 with Lee Shavers inserts on another muzzleloader and it helps tremendously.
Try setting the entire plate on TOP of the bead and see what that does. I think you’ll be surprised. Back when I could see, I could hit a beer bottle cap at 25 yards, every time, shooting my old TC Renegade and Maxiballs. I stuck some Williams sights on it for a while, then finally a 1x scope. That still rides it to this day, an old Simmons 1x32. It has about 4MOA crosshairs, so yeah, I know about covering a paper plate up (at 200 yds anyway) lol. Shot power belts pretty dang good at 200 yards 15 years ago. I could hit the plate every time, usually less than a 4” group. Don’t know if you’ve ever peered down a 1x scope? It makes everything look farther away, unless you intentionally turn it out of focus slightly, then you can get it to appear the same distance or possibly a touch closer.

I actually think they picked the 1:48 because it was a good “all around” twist. It shot round balls pretty well for me to about 75-80 yards and Maxiballs good to past 100. I watched a lot of Roger Raglin videos when I was younger, where he was dropping animals at 200 yards and beyond with his Renegade.

My first muzzle loader was a TC New Englander .54 with the 1-48. Sighted it in at 4 inches high at 100 yards using the 430 grain Maxi Balls over 100gr Pyrodex RS. If I did my job right it shot clover leaf groups at that range. Recoil was brutal, but it was good on deer out to 150 yards or so. Also worked up a PRB load with the same sight settings. Through some trial and error with the powder charge I found 45gr of the Pyrodex RS grouped quite well to point of aim at 50 yards. The 1-48 is a versatile twist.

I actually think they picked the 1:48 because it was a good “all around” twist. It shot round balls pretty well for me to about 75-80 yards and Maxiballs good to past 100. I watched a lot of Roger Raglin videos when I was younger, where he was dropping animals at 200 yards and beyond with his Renegade.
Doc ended up not liking Roger Raglin much (video production while hunting) but boy i sure did !!! I watched his videos till i knew them by heart . Best videos Ever Made for hunting whitetails IMO . The ONLY ONES where somebody actually wanted to share proven techniques too !!! I even got "The Bible Version" where he has ALL his stuff in it !!! Still watch and refer to it too . It dont get no better than ole Roger in my book , holy cow and jiminey cricket included !!!! I owe ALOT to that man !!! He is why i hunt the way i do . Been good to me for decades . NOBODY can compare to Roger Raglin to me . God Bless Roger Raglin !!!! Id Love to have one of his signature Whites !!! Sorry about the rant....:topic:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back