Cleaning brushes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delight523

Reaction score
When I started my .40 build, I ordered some cleaning supplies from muzzle-loaders.com. Part of the order was two .40 caliber brass brushes. After shooting it for the first time yesterday afternoon I started cleaning it, opened one of my new brushes, and put it on the rod. The brush slid in the barrel with no resistance, opened the second one, same thing. So this am I went to their website and opened a chat asking about the brushes. At first I was told they were designed small for "heavy" fouling. Then I pointed out that they slid in the bore with no resistance, this time I was told they could be used for cleaning "around" the barrel. I just closed the page and will move on to another vendor.

So, who's brushes are you using,?

ElDiablo, come on, man. You could have instructed the newbie... while laughing.

Delight523, I don't know. I'm a .50 cal Dapper Dan Man, don't want no FOP.
ProShot bronze phosphor .40/10mm brush should have given you +0.002" worth of scrubbing.

EDIT: I don't have access to my Mitutoya calipers, BUTT!!! Pro-Shot's 10mm/.40 (and God knows their .416 cal.) brush
should give you the friction/cleaning that you are looking for.

Last edited:
ElDiablo, come on, man. You could have instructed the newbie... while laughing.

Delight523, I don't know. I'm a .50 cal Dapper Dan Man, don't want no FOP.
ProShot bronze phosphor .40/10mm brush should have given you +0.002" worth of scrubbing.

EDIT: I don't have access to my Mitutoya calipers, BUTT!!! Pro-Shot's 10mm/.40 (and God knows their .416 cal.) brush
should give you the friction/cleaning that you are looking for.
.50 cal dapper Dan man I'm stealing that

i've got to get some brushes for my 45 i have on order . i'm gonna go with nylon because on my old 50 CVA the brass brushes didn't last long before they lost friction with the barrel . the nylon brushes keep scrubbing the walls much longer than brass in my one barrel newbie experience .

I prefer the ones on the right where the wire loops thru the base rather than the crimped style.
I had a crimped one pull out on me once. You know the old saying "fool me once - shame on you. fool me twice - shame on me".
1683059338708.png1683059286629.png

I prefer the ones on the right where the wire loops thru the base rather than the crimped style.
I had a crimped one pull out on me once. You know the old saying "fool me once - shame on you. fool me twice - shame on me".
View attachment 34123View attachment 34122
The wire loop through the base is definitely the way to go. Never gonna have one pull loose.

Latest posts

Back