Tools for First Inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
The tools I am going to need to shoot, and maintain my Optima V2 pistol have slowly been arriving at my address.

I now have the following on hand, or in the delivery pipeline--- The prices reflect the cost of shipping, where applicable .......

1. Lehigh Defense BP-BP-C1 BH209 Bare Primer breech plug w/ 1 VL-1 vent liner...$29.98

2. Pkg/4, Lehigh Defense VL-1 vent liners...$25.97

3. Klein Tools, #JTH6E07KLE, T-handle, Journeyman, 7/64" hex wrench w/ 6" & 5/8" shafts...$3.94

4. Pkg/2, Bondhus, #10606, 7/64" hex, ball end screwdrivers w/ 3" shafts...$7.72

5, General Tools, #92, Swivel Head Pin Vise, 0"-0.125" capacity...$9.06

6. Pkg/5, K & S, #9861, Solid Brass Rods, 1mm × 302mm, diameter × length...$7.48

7. General Tools, #93 Pin Vise, 0.040"-0.250" capacity...$13.96

8. Pkg/12, Qualtech, #DWDN69P12, Black oxide, HSS, Number 69 (0.0292"), jobber length drill bits...$14.28

9. Set/50, Accusize Tools, 0.011"-0.060", ZZ Class, Pin Gages (minus)...$32.00

10. Accusize Tools, Go/No Go, 0.011"-0.060", Pin Gage Vise...$10.56

11. Permatex, #80632, Thread Sealant w/PTFE, 4 oz. jar...$6.28

12. Pkg/100, McMaster-Carr, #9262K11, Buna-N O-rings, 4.5mm×6.5mm×1mm

13. Pkg/50, McMaster-Carr, #1185N26, Viton Fluoroelastomer O-rings, 4.5mm×6.5mm×1mm

14. Set/6, Pittsburgh Tools, #93514, Stainless Steel O-ring Picks...$13.77

15. Hornady, #050075, 0"-6" × 0.001", Stainless Steel, Vernier Dial Caliper...$48.75

16. Ted Cash, #TDCSL209, 209 Inline Capper

17. Traditions. #A1404, 209 Depriming Tool...$11.91

18. Frankford Arsenal, #DS-750, Digital Pocket Reloader's Scale...$30.70

19. Gross/144, Discount Vials, #CT242770-C-B217-144, Borosilicate Glass Vials, 6 drams, w/ Black Plastic Screw-top Caps #F217 (1.0625" O.D. × 2.75" long w/o cap)...$75.15

20. MTM, #S25-12M-41,10 Gauge/12 Gauge, 2.75"/3"/3.5", Smoke Grey, 25-round Shotshell Boxes (6 each)...$32.04

21. Dr. Purifier, 10-in-1, Handheld Steam Cleaner...$47.99

Remember that I am starting from zero/scratch with NOTHING but a 20" Craftsman tool box containing a 16 oz. ball peen hammer, a 10 oz. plastic-faced hammer, a Multi-Tough rotating screwdriver bit tool, and a Gerber multi-tool. There is also an Hitachi 3/8" corded drill gun, a 25' H-D extension cord, and a couple of sets of driver/drill bits in plastic cases.

Edit: 5:45 P.M. EDT 5-20-20
The company that I ordered the K & S 1mm brass rods called to inform me that they only had 1 unit to sell, instead of 2.

So, they are kicking me back the cost of 5 rods, plus $1.00 shipping.

I won't have as many pieces to pass along as I thought I was going to, perhaps 6-8, depending upon how long of a piece someone might want.

The lettered items below have been, or will soon be purchased to be installed on the Optima V2 pistol.

A. DOC White Javelina forearm with stubby pistol grip, and ambidextrous main pistol grip fabricated from black/gray laminate...$300 (approx.)

B. Pkg/2, GrovTec, #GTHM289, Heavy Duty, Push Button, sling swivel bases, 9/16"-18 threads...$14.02

C. Pkg/2, GrovTec, GTSW284, "D" Loop, Heavy Duty, Push Button, Recessed Plunger, sling swivels...$25.67

D. Magpul, MS3, Gen2, Convertible Sling, 1pt/2pt, w/paraclips, Coyote Tan...$50.43

E. Spartan Precision Equipment, Classic Gunsmith Adapter, brass...$41.95

F. Spartan Precision Equipment, Javelin Bipod, standard length...$201.36

G. LR Customs--- labor to thread muzzle of Optima V2 pistol...$85.00

H. LR Customs, MZ-REX 2 Muzzle Brake, for sabots--- includes an aluminum funnel, a t-handle loading tool, and a S.S. muzzle cap...$235.00

I. LR Customs, MZ-REX 2 Muzzle Brake, for lead conicals, or sized to the bore jacketed/solid bullets...$175.00

Last edited by a moderator:
#6 in the above list is to fabricate a softer than the vent liner pick. This will require snipping the brass rod to fit in the #92 pin vise, and then sanding the 1mm diameter (0.0394") brass rod down to fit the vent liner (0.030").

If anyone wants a piece of this brass rod to fab their own vent pick that is softer than their flame hole/vent liner; just let me know what length you need (less than 6").

I will tape a piece to some computer paper, stick it in an envelope, and mail it to you.

For the small sum of $5,422.93 payable in 19th Century Mexican centavos.

Actually, no charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bruce,
I find these useful for all kinds of firearm cleaning chores. Work exceptionally well for cleaning the gas tubes on ARs and the ignition channels on sidelocks, 'cause they're all bendy. But they do work well for inline plugs - bristle pipe cleaners!!!

pm-cbjl-1000.jpeg

I use the JB Long bristled pipe cleaners mostly because I grabbed them by mistake (don't use them to clean a pipe - ever - they get stuck in the stem and tenon). They're $2 for a pack of 80. Cotton with nylon bristles, so they're absorbent and scrubby. But any bristled pipe cleaner will do.

Hey Bruce,
I find these useful for all kinds of firearm cleaning chores. Work exceptionally well for cleaning the gas tubes on ARs and the ignition channels on sidelocks, 'cause they're all bendy. But they do work well for inline plugs - bristle pipe cleaners!!!

View attachment 9118

I use the JB Long bristled pipe cleaners mostly because I grabbed them by mistake (don't use them to clean a pipe - ever - they get stuck in the stem and tenon). They're $2 for a pack of 80. Cotton with nylon bristles, so they're absorbent and scrubby. But any bristled pipe cleaner will do.
Good point, I use them too. They're great to have on hand.

Hey Bruce,

View attachment 9118

I have never used them in 30+ years. have you used a mini steam cleaner yet? It was a life changer

have you used a mini steam cleaner yet? It was a life changer

Muzzy,

I have not. I have read about the steam cleaners here, and I'm intrigued. I got those pipe cleaners by mistake at my local pipe shop, and hated how they worked in my briar. But I'm a cheap ba$tard, so I found a use for them!

That being said, they are really effective at cleaning the ignition channel in my side lock. Another plus: while I'm running the cleaner back and forth through the ignition channel, I can stare at my wife with a suggestive, yet creepy look on my face, and she'll usually leave the room in 30 seconds or less. Try *that* with your damn steamer!!

Winner. Winner. Chicken. Dinner

- Jim

Last edited:
Muzzy,

I have not. I have read about the steam cleaners here, and I'm intrigued. I got those pipe cleaners by mistake at my local pipe shop, and hated how they worked in my briar. But I'm a cheap ba$tard, so I found a use for them!
Also a cheap ba$tard here. My wife bought the steamer and i took it from her. But she confiscated my john deere gator so fair trade :dance:

I brought the Steam Cleaner idea here long ago, I’ll put it up against those pipe Cleaners ANY Ole Day :)

EhZfNlzl.jpg

epzrINRl.jpg

Like Brand new again, Takes about 1 minute ;) I’ll leave them Ole Pipe Cleaners to you Cheap Fella’s :lewis:
ldk3ZIol.jpg

Ive tried to clean up a lil surface rust but by.rhe time you see rust it has started pitting. A steamer can help stop further pitting but the damage has started.

Back