Tornado Brush

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old trick I have used for over 30 years is after shooting lead bullets I follow up with about 5-10 copper jacketed bullets before I put whatever I am shooting away. It seems the copper will "wipe" some if not most of the lead out of the barrel making cleaning much easier. I admit that I have never confirmed this practice actually works by checking with a bore scope but I do know from cleaning it seems to make a difference, at least in my experience.

I have a custom Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd barrel that has at least 10,000 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity (lead) down the barrel that gets a good barrel cleaning only when accuracy drops off which is about 500 rounds give or take. That barrel cleans very easy with wet patches and a nylon brush only. I clean the bolt and action a lot more often. I always shoot a full 10rd mag of copper jacketed bullets before I clean it.

An old trick I have used for over 30 years is after shooting lead bullets I follow up with about 5-10 copper jacketed bullets before I put whatever I am shooting away. It seems the copper will "wipe" some if not most of the lead out of the barrel making cleaning much easier. I admit that I have never confirmed this practice actually works by checking with a bore scope but I do know from cleaning it seems to make a difference, at least in my experience.

I have a custom Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd barrel that has at least 10,000 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity (lead) down the barrel that gets a good barrel cleaning only when accuracy drops off which is about 500 rounds give or take. That barrel cleans very easy with wet patches and a nylon brush only. I clean the bolt and action a lot more often. I always shoot a full 10rd mag of copper jacketed bullets before I clean it.

I have been doing the same thing for many years and it helps reducing the lead buildup. There is a video on YouTube from Hickok45 were he talks about this method he has used in the last for 45 years with good results.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back