Traditional rifle groups

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

Reaction score
What kind of groups can I expect to get with a trad rifle. Lets see some pics of groups shot with your rifles. Soon as I shoot my Cva Frontier again I will post pics. It does really well with 70 grains of pyrodex and a patched round ball.

A lot of what you can expect will be in direct correlation to the rifle and how well you found the right load and of course your shooting skills. I find the older I get the more my skills start to slip. Especially off hand shooting. But on a normal day, with open sights, at 50 yards, with a traditional rifle, I can shoot approximately a two inch group.

But on a normal day, with open sights, at 50 yards, with a traditional rifle, I can shoot approximately a two inch group.

That's about right from me also - with a good rest. Offhand? Well, let's not talk about offhand. :oops:

Are you asking about real groups or internet groups? :wink:

I don't shoot my Hawken much anymore and I don't think other then to get it sighted in I ever really shot groups with it. When I shoot my hunting guns I shoot single shots and normally at something fun to shoot at, clay targets, steel or rocks from hunting positions.

It took me a while to achieve 4" groups with PRB at 50 yards with a good rest. I've shot a bunch of 2" groups that got me pretty excited until I tried the same load a month later and was back to 3"-4". :roll: I do much better with conicals, but honestly, I have more fun shooting the PRBs, though a little less accurate. Keep in mind the sweet spot on an Elk is a good 8"!

I am a little late for this thread.. ..

Out of my flintlocks, I can shoot about a 2 inch group at 50 yards(on a average day). . .anything past 50 is way to hard for me to see. (50 is hard enough). I have picked my nose, bit my lip, sloshed down a pint of everclear and gone less than 1 inch at 50 a few times. But for a guaranteed everyday shoot, 3 inches at 50 is a given, unless I see a deer out of the corner of my eye. The twist rate is 1:48 on two of them, and 1:60 on the other. (All three are 50 cal).

If you want accuracy, you gotta work up a load with your gun. And if you change anything. . . .the patch type, patch size, roundball lead content, power type, powder brand, cap, or anything else. . .all bets are off. . .you have another variable to deal with.

What really bothered me is last week, I decided to shoot. I took my Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock out. I used the .50 caliber that day instead of the .54 caliber. Here I was bragging about my 2 inch groups. Well that day, humility was served cold to me.

Now off a good rest mind you... I never shot so bad in my life. I was embarrassed. And I knew this was a good shooting rifle. But I just could not make the rifle behave. So I blamed it on the extreme temperatures that day, sweat in my eyes, and the stars out of alignment. But in all honestly I shot a five inch group at 50 yards. Normally that rifle will print 2 inches in three shots, off a rest... 3+ on a bad day. I did every thing the same as usual. But I have not shot much this summer to do a floating haze in my right eye. Some days, that eye is a blur. Once winter comes, I am going to have it taken care of (after deer season).

But the eye was clear that day (one reason I decided to shoot in the heat.. it was 81 degrees that day) So while this bothered me, I guess it makes me want to shoot that much more.

Dwayne said:
I am a little late for this thread.. ..

Out of my flintlocks, I can shoot about a 2 inch group at 50 yards(on a average day). . .anything past 50 is way to hard for me to see. (50 is hard enough). I have picked my nose, bit my lip, sloshed down a pint of everclear and gone less than 1 inch at 50 a few times. But for a guaranteed everyday shoot, 3 inches at 50 is a given, unless I see a deer out of the corner of my eye. The twist rate is 1:48 on two of them, and 1:60 on the other. (All three are 50 cal).

If you want accuracy, you gotta work up a load with your gun. And if you change anything. . . .the patch type, patch size, roundball lead content, power type, powder brand, cap, or anything else. . .all bets are off. . .you have another variable to deal with.

i agree 100% you really have to go play with the gun.
ever single one i have is a different animal.
plus i have noticed what worked in august at the range
did not shot the same in the woods at a deer in december at 25 deg's.
5"-3 shot group out to 75 yards with PRB with windex

I have found with the correct load most of my rifles will shoot from one inch to 2 inch groups at 50 yards. I don't normally shoot farther as that is as far as I want to shoot at deer or small game. I'd guess a 1.5 inch group being about average. I have a Green Mountain drop in barrel that is 50 cal and fast twist for one of my TC Hawken rifles. While I have not shot the barrel a lot, it appears it will put 240 grain Hornady XTP bullets into a clover leaf sized group at 50 yards. The correct load and the skill of the shooter is what makes the difference between good groups and poor ones. I find a 6 o'clock hold help me get smaller groups.

I had the same problem with a haze in my right eye. The eye doc. at Emory hospital here in Ga. says I have a hole in the back of my eye!! I'am now trying to shoot left handed. Hope you don't have the same problem Cayuga, they tell me it's not repairable. :cry:

At my age and vision. I go for what I call hunting groups offhand. Not impressive to post on forums, but will kill game just fine.

bernieg said:
I had the same problem with a haze in my right eye. The eye doc. at Emory hospital here in Ga. says I have a hole in the back of my eye!! I'am now trying to shoot left handed. Hope you don't have the same problem Cayuga, they tell me it's not repairable. :cry:

No. In my case I had a cataract that was covering almost all of my shooting eye. I put off the surgery, just because I hate going to the doctor. But finally I went to an eye surgeon and he told me he could do the surgery.

They didn't even put me under. They just numb the eye and you lay there watching them take it apart. But the surgery was 100% successful so he said. He then put in a lens that allows me to see long distance. I can actually see TV with glasses. And I think I could drive too, but I am required by law to wear glasses.

So he told me no shooting for a month and then he will tell me whether or not I can shoot. If you ever have a cataract, don't be worried about surgery. It was a piece of cake. In fact I might have them do the other eye.

cayuga said:
bernieg said:

No. In my case I had a cataract that was covering almost all of my shooting eye. I put off the surgery, just because I hate going to the doctor. But finally I went to an eye surgeon and he told me he could do the surgery.

They didn't even put me under. They just numb the eye and you lay there watching them take it apart. But the surgery was 100% successful so he said. He then put in a lens that allows me to see long distance. I can actually see TV with glasses. And I think I could drive too, but I am required by law to wear glasses.

So he told me no shooting for a month and then he will tell me whether or not I can shoot. If you ever have a cataract, don't be worried about surgery. It was a piece of cake. In fact I might have them do the other eye.

You're lucky you had it done in 2013. I had a cataract done in the 70's, and I was in the hospital for 3 days. That eye is blind now. I had to switch to shooting left handed.

Latest posts

Back