Traditions Tennessee rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on some .495 round balls.
I wanted to try them in my Tennessee rifle. 24 inch barrel, 1/66 twist.
Started out with 60 grains of 3f Old Ensyford at 25 yards. 3 shots low but almost touching each other.
Moved out to 50 yards, tried a few different charges, 70, 75, 80 grains.
Even experimented with a few patches, .010 .015"
All cotton, lubed with Crisco.
All my shots were hitting low but grouping well except for one flyer.
I took out a file and removed some metal off the front sight.
My last 2 shots of the morning were right in there.
My best load seems to be 75 grains by volume of 3f Old Ensyford under a .010 patch with the 495 ball.
My best shooting to date with the old Tennessee. 20210902_094238.jpg20210902_094510.jpg

Looks like moving to the .495's was a good move. How much did you take off the front sight? I may have to try them in my Cabelas Hawken and my Traditions Buckskinner. Both have adjustable sights so I don't have to worry about screwing up the sight!

John

Looks like moving to the .495's was a good move. How much did you take off the front sight? I may have to try them in my Cabelas Hawken and my Traditions Buckskinner. Both have adjustable sights so I don't have to worry about screwing up the sight!

John
I took off a good solid 1/16", maybe a touch more.
After watching Idaho Lewis shooting a patched 495 round ball, I had to try it for myself.
The 490's shot ok for me but much improved now.

I used nothing but PRB for 30 years in a sidelock.. Killed all kinds of deer with them. Then the eyes were going bad so I bought Inlines. Then I got glasses and installed a homemade skinner on my old sidelock with PRB. In the last few months I bought 2 TC. 1 Rengade and 1 Hawken. 1/48 twist. Think Im leaning back to sidelocks.

Latest posts

Back