Triple Seven 120 vs 110

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJohn

Reaction score
I'm new to muzzle-loaders. My rifle is a CVA MR-X Accura with a William's Precision Fiber Optic Sight. The load that has been grouping well for me is 300 gr Hornady SST w/low drag sabot, 120gr T7 (2 60gr pellets), and T7 primers. Plan to hunt Roosevelt elk shots likely 100yds or below.

I'm having a problem getting more of the T7 in 60gr pellets. My question is would there be a significant drop in terminal performance if I dropped to 110gr (1 60 gr pellet and 1 50gr pellet). If I combine my supply of 50's and 60's I will have plenty for practice and my elk hunt. I understand I would need to check my grouping using the decreased load.

I think the two loads will be very close. Shoot a few to check your zero. I shot 60 grain Triple 7 pellets for several years and when I had trouble finding them switched to powder triple seven. I carry two of the three tube quick loaders in my pack two tubes filled with powder the other with two saboted bullets. I have recently been sighting in a MK85 and found great accuracy with 90 Grains loose powder and a 240 Grain XTP. Waiting on some 300 Grain XTPs to see how they do as well. Might grab a pound of loose so you can dial it right in where you like it.

Thanks Ron, I thought about getting T7 in loose powder and it is available here. Does it come with a measuring scoop included?

Would 60gr measured by volume equal one of the 60gr pellets? Or are the pellets measured by weight?

It will be my volume. I weighed a 50 grain pallet, and on my scale it came out just under 31 grains weight.
Please never confuse weight with volume measurements. And do not compare the weight of a pellet with weight of loose powder.

I realize you were just answering his question but don’t want anyone else to be confused.

Last edited:
Just FYI. I have always used loose. My elk load for up to 150 yards never exceeded 95 gr of 777 by volume.

That would approximate the power of 110 gr of pellets.
That's good to know. What is the weight of the bullet you are using?

Killed multiple elk with a Hornady 350 gr FPB (discontinued). This last fall I used the 350 lead federal BOR lock with 95 gr BH 209. That charge is pretty close to 95 gr loose 777

Never used a sabot but if I did for elk, I would prob use a 290-300 gr Barnes copper bullet.

Back