Troubleshooting hangfire in Knight Disc??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ha! That is 300 posts for me!

Sorry gentlemen, I could not resist. :D

Halloflin, you got me!

By the way, thanks for operating a great sight. I visit almost every day.

Ive had no less than 5 Knights with the original Lehigh plug and everyone was flawless with a Win209. Elites, LRH, Extreme and even a converted Super DISC. They all had one other thing in common. The Win209 primers come out nearly spotless so blowby is virtually nonexistent.

My Extreme with the older red FPJ plug was fine for a few shots then it would hangfire. Carbon in the flash channel was the culprit. The Rem 209 primer seemed to work best for me with that plug. Its possible they produced less carbon in the flash channel. Im not really sure why they worked slightly better.

I have heard that a band of misfit gypsies put curses on certain guns so the magic and mystical blackhorn powder wont work in them.
I am also working out a theory that the entrance to certain gun ranges are situated directly in line with a portal to a parallel dimension where opposite reactions occur.. This will require more investigating..

I did an experiment once with my 54-120 and WinT7 primers. All the loads were pretty tight so that may have helped but i never had a single hangfire or fail to fire with the real Lehigh plug. Temps were in the 60s so im sure that helped too.

The last range session was with my Super DISC and the Extreme bolt with a Lehigh plug. The sabotless bullets loaded so easy it had me worried at first. The ram rod was almost enough weight to seat the bullets....Performance was perfect even on a fouled breach plug. The only problem i ran into was the Fed209A primers were sticking. The anvils were backing out of the primer cup. A quick switch to Win209s solved that issue.

Well, I am new to this arena, but after exhaustively reading just about every thread on this forum I purchased a new knight disc extreme and a new knight Mountaineer. Both in .50 cal. I have both the new vented FPJ breech plugs and the Bare 209 breech plugs for both rifles, along with the bare 209 conversion and the new 209 bare bolt. I have used almost 70 ounces of BH 209 and have decided I like the Win 209 primers the best, followed by the CCI 209 Magnums. To date I have had no hang fires or failures to fire. In all honesty, I think I prefer the FPJ for the reason it is easier to handle than the bare 209 primer. I have followed the advise of the older members on this forum in basically all aspects of my shooting and cleaning regime and could not be happier at this time.

Oh yea, by "Older Members" I really meant those who have obviously more experience with the sport than myself :) not that these members were having eyesight issues and old rickety knees and such :lol: :lol:

I do make sure the sabot and bullet are firmly seated on the powder charge, I scribed a witness mark on my range rod very early on and it is very valuable, even with the BH supposedly not creating a crud ring. I have fired 35 shots without cleaning anything, out of both rifles, on two different shooting days.

I do clean the plugs with a drill bit and a welding tip file.

Again, the knowledge on this forum has proven invaluable to me and I must say thanks

windwalker1 said:
Well, I am new to this arena, but after exhaustively reading just about every thread on this forum I purchased a new knight disc extreme and a new knight Mountaineer. Both in .50 cal. I have both the new vented FPJ breech plugs and the Bare 209 breech plugs for both rifles, along with the bare 209 conversion and the new 209 bare bolt. I have used almost 70 ounces of BH 209 and have decided I like the Win 209 primers the best, followed by the CCI 209 Magnums. To date I have had no hang fires or failures to fire. In all honesty, I think I prefer the FPJ for the reason it is easier to handle than the bare 209 primer. I have followed the advise of the older members on this forum in basically all aspects of my shooting and cleaning regime and could not be happier at this time.

Oh yea, by "Older Members" I really meant those who have obviously more experience with the sport than myself :) not that these members were having eyesight issues and old rickety knees and such :lol: :lol:

I do make sure the sabot and bullet are firmly seated on the powder charge, I scribed a witness mark on my range rod very early on and it is very valuable, even with the BH supposedly not creating a crud ring. I have fired 35 shots without cleaning anything, out of both rifles, on two different shooting days.

I do clean the plugs with a drill bit and a welding tip file.

Again, the knowledge on this forum has proven invaluable to me and I must say thanks

Suggestion "do not clean the flash hole" in the vent liner with anything metal. Each time you probe the flash hole you stand a good chance of creating a bit more erosion of the hole. Most often the flash hole need no special treatment at all. But you do need to clean the Flash Channel.

Back