Tungsten Turkey Ammo: Is It Worth It?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you hunt in a state or area where lead is banned then you have no choice but to go with tungsten then. Otherwise it is not worth the cost.

I like the Winchester Long Beard XR, # 4 shot. Last time in Walmart, they had in stock but the price was $ 21.98 for a box of 10. Not long ago I read that ammunition prices were going up. Jeez, I guess so.

About the only .410 ammo you see for sale around here are the tungsten pellet kind at more than $60 a box of five 3 inch shells. Some local gun stores had those same boxes priced upwards of $75 a box of five too. It makes you wonder if the stuff is gold plated nowadays.

Yeah ammo prices are skyrocketing. Even reloading stuff. I saw some 16 ounce canisters of Unique priced at $76.95 at a local gun store last week. This is in a pro 2A state no telling what the stuff goes for in a anti 2A state.

On a good note I filled up my truck yesterday and the gasoline cost was $2.999 a gallon. That was lower than the previous time I filled up. But then this is a pro business state.

About the only .410 ammo you see for sale around here are the tungsten pellet kind at more than $60 a box of five 3 inch shells. Some local gun stores had those same boxes priced upwards of $75 a box of five too. It makes you wonder if the stuff is gold plated nowadays.

Yeah ammo prices are skyrocketing. Even reloading stuff. I saw some 16 ounce canisters of Unique priced at $76.95 at a local gun store last week. This is in a pro 2A state no telling what the stuff goes for in a anti 2A state.

On a good note I filled up my truck yesterday and the gasoline cost was $2.999 a gallon. That was lower than the previous time I filled up. But then this is a pro business state.
Check AmmoSeek for pricing. They have 410 TSS listed for a heck of a lot cheaper.

Check AmmoSeek for pricing. They have 410 TSS listed for a heck of a lot cheaper.
I don’t t know if I trust them. They are more likely going to take your money and then backorder it forever instead. I remember seeing a lot of guys complain about the supposedly good deal they got only to lament it was backordered instead.

I don’t t know if I trust them. They are more likely going to take your money and then backorder it forever instead. I remember seeing a lot of guys complain about the supposedly good deal they got only to lament it was backordered instead.
Maybe. I’ve never heard that or had a single problem with any dealers I’ve bought from on AmmoSeek. If you think there may be an issue, you can always check stock before ordering.

Simple law of supply and demand and those who can afford it buy it. Ain't no shotshell worth that kind of money. I don't care how good it works. Ammo manufacturers are ruining this sport because of their greed. If fact greed is one of the main reasons this country is falling apart from the top down.

If you pay by credit card, not debit card, you are covered against scammers. DO NOT PAY by zelle, venmo, etc. !!! That is a sign that it is for sure a scam.

GuruGle says:

"Yes, tungsten ammo can damage a shotgun barrel. Tungsten is very hard and can scratch barrels, even smoothbore barrels.

"(Rifles/Pistols) After many rounds, the barrel may not seal well to additional rounds of the same caliber. Some calibers are more likely to be stripped than others.

"Tungsten Super Shot can also cause scratches, rubmarks, or scoring in gun barrels and chokes. Some recommend using a gun with interchangeable or replaceable barrels.

"Some say that Tungsten Matrix is safe to use in older guns and produces good patterns. The HEVI-XII load uses flaxseed as a buffer to protect barrels and choke tubes from the tungsten shot."

GuruGle says:

"Yes, tungsten ammo can damage a shotgun barrel. Tungsten is very hard and can scratch barrels, even smoothbore barrels.

"(Rifles/Pistols) After many rounds, the barrel may not seal well to additional rounds of the same caliber. Some calibers are more likely to be stripped than others.

"Tungsten Super Shot can also cause scratches, rubmarks, or scoring in gun barrels and chokes. Some recommend using a gun with interchangeable or replaceable barrels.

"Some say that Tungsten Matrix is safe to use in older guns and produces good patterns. The HEVI-XII load uses flaxseed as a buffer to protect barrels and choke tubes from the tungsten shot."
Just like lead the shot never touches the barrel as the wad is in between the shot and the barrel.

"rifles/pistols" I am unaware of any centerfire tungsten rounds and that isn't even a part of this conversation and the tungsten is probably harder than the barrel and not suited as a projectile unless wrapped in a thick copper jacket that could alloy engraving, otherwise it would be way over pressure.

I killed 2 birds with a .410 shooting #9 TSS at 42 and 55 yards.

Tripe B is now $35/lb shipped, I buy 50 to 100kg at a time directly from china and split it up with friends, last order over a year ago was $26 after shipping and customs import fee so I am set for a long while.
https://triplebmetals.com/

Even split with friends… I’ll bet 100kg (220 lbs!) of shot loads a lot of .410 shells!

You probably are set for a long time! 😂

Understand that ammoseek.com is simply asearch engine/listing platform.

You’re buyingfrom individual businesses, which are listed on ammoseek.

Stick with a name that you recognize, and the risk is no greater than any other internet purchase.

Info above re:buying with a credit card, and not with Zelle, Venmo, PayPal F+F, etc. is sound advice.

Bismuth is very close to the density of lead(9.6 vs ~10.5 g/cc) and is in the $20/lb range, you can also buy the lower density 15g/cc tungsten shot and others.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Bismuth/products/810/
I use lead for turkey.... Because I can and I get close enough or I don't shoot.

But for waterfowl where non toxic is required... I've started shooting Boss (copper plated bismuth) and Kent Bismuth loads... TSS is better... But I'm not convinced the huge price increase makes it worth it to me... If I had to use non toxic for turkey I'd probably be using Boss warchief.

I got tons of turkey and can get close to them and plane old #5 or #4 1-1/8oz or 1-1/4oz lead upland loads have done me just fine as I rarely shoot past 20yds. Though I just bought a bunch of Winchester 1 1/2oz buffered turkey loads on sale for $5.99 for 10 with the rebate (from rogerssportinggoods.com).

Imo: Too many guys spend too much time fiddling with stuff... over hunting with simple effective solutions.

Last edited:
Understand that ammoseek.com is simply asearch engine/listing platform.

You’re buyingfrom individual businesses, which are listed on ammoseek.

Stick with a name that you recognize, and the risk is no greater than any other internet purchase.
Ironically, the only online retailer I’ve ever had do a bait and switch was Bud’s Gunshop. I’ll never buy from them again no matter how good the deal supposedly is.

Last edited:
Ironically, the only online retailer I’ve ever had do a bait and switch was Bud’s Gunshop. I’ll never buy from them again no matter how good the deal supposedly is.
Don't want to hijack a thread... But... 🤔I found a great deal at buds website. So I bought it. They canceled my order & Relisted the gun for about $100 more, and told me if I really wanted it to buy it, buy it off the new listing! 😑

When I called and insisted they honor the original agreement, the guy on the phone said he couldn't do that. I asked for someone who could... The next guy was rude. Said buy it at the new price or walk. He didn't care. I insisted he honor the prior agreement. He hung up on me... Then canceled my account so I couldn't buy anything from them. 😔

Last edited:
So the last three years I’ve used my Steven’s 410 for turkey and I’ve killed three birds with it. All public land birds. Stock gun, stock choke, and a cheap 90 dollar red dot. The one place I do want to spend my money is on the all important shell for the trigger pull. Once you have a shell you like, and you are patterned, think of it as 6-9 dollars a turkey. Solid deal in my opinion. ESPECIALLY if I get the benefit of a 4lb, loud as a .22 turkey slayer that I can hike up hills without it even crossing my mind. The 40 yard patterns I get are absurd and I’m 100% confident it would drop a tom at 50 if the shot lane was there (not that I’m trying to long range kill birds).

So long story short, as a tool to allow you to harness the benefits of the sub gauges, it’s absolutely worth the money. I’ll attach a pic of my latest 40 yard pattern. IMG_8667.jpeg

Latest posts

Back