Understanding the different rate of barrel twists and most compatible projectiles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your rock chucks, we call wood chucks, which we have no more as the coyotes eliminated them. Have not had a chance to shoot one in 35 years. Our hay fields are perfect from day 1 til we plow them up. Miss the joy they gave youngsters for sporting purposes…

No one thought of catching badgers barehanded ….cuz it’s 3rd on the list of “dumbest ideas“ testosterone ever gave a male child…right under peeing on the electric fence.
I had to learn my lesson on peein on an electric fence the hard way as a youngin. I was on one of my uncles farms in Pa right outside of Wva & we were doin some shooting & general goofing around, it was in the morning. grass was wet as well as out shoes & pants. I had to " go " and went over to the corner of the shed & cattle fence in the tall grass & let loose. All was great, until I hit that electric fence with my stream. I screamed like a little girl while hopping about with both hands holding my hose, still goin. lol & all my cousins & brothers bustin a gut LOLing at me was the icing on the cake. That WAS - my warning - not to do that. Now I only wish I could honestly say that I ain't been tuned up a time or two later in life & done it again, but I can't.
Ok, I'm off to look for a Badger now..............

I had to learn my lesson on peein on an electric fence the hard way as a youngin. I was on one of my uncles farms in Pa right outside of Wva & we were doin some shooting & general goofing around, it was in the morning. grass was wet as well as out shoes & pants. I had to " go " and went over to the corner of the shed & cattle fence in the tall grass & let loose. All was great, until I hit that electric fence with my stream. I screamed like a little girl while hopping about with both hands holding my hose, still goin. lol & all my cousins & brothers bustin a gut LOLing at me was the icing on the cake. That WAS - my warning - not to do that. Now I only wish I could honestly say that I ain't been tuned up a time or two later in life & done it again, but I can't.
Pure water is not a very good conductor of electricity. However, as you found out, the electrolytes in urine make a difference...

When you're dumb, ya gotta be tough!

Seriously, though, as much as we humanoids hate to admit it, pain is the greatest of all teachers. Some of the most important things you can teach a kid are that it hurts to say or do dumb things, it hurts to ignore what parents and other adults tell you, and it usually hurts to do things you don't understand BEFORE searching out and carefully considering all the information and advice you can find. Shielding a kid from pain when they are lazy or do stupid things (within reason, of course.... you don't let a two year-old cross a street by himself) is the quickest way to ruin that kid, and the longer you shield the kid from pain, the more pain it takes to set the kid straight.

At some point, nothing short of an extremely painful brush with imminent death will do the trick - and often that doesn't even work. I spent 7 years of my life working with homeless and other poor people full-time. While maybe 40% of the homeless have severe mental health issues and can't help themselves, I and many others have found that until those in the other 60% experience enough pain to realize that they are gonna die early and in extreme pain if they continue to do drugs to medicate whatever else is wrong in their life, there usually isn't a whole lot you can do to provide lasting and effective help. Sadly, no amount of pain is enough for many.

When you're dumb, ya gotta be tough!

Seriously, though, as much as we humanoids hate to admit it, pain is the greatest of all teachers. Some of the most important things you can teach a kid are that it hurts to say or do dumb things, it hurts to ignore what parents and other adults tell you, and it usually hurts to do things you don't understand BEFORE searching out and carefully considering all the information and advice you can find. Shielding a kid from pain when they are lazy or do stupid things (within reason, of course.... you don't let a two year-old cross a street by himself) is the quickest way to ruin that kid, and the longer you shield the kid from pain, the more pain it takes to set the kid straight.

At some point, nothing short of an extremely painful brush with imminent death will do the trick - and often that doesn't even work. I spent 7 years of my life working with homeless and other poor people full-time. While maybe 40% of the homeless have severe mental health issues and can't help themselves, I and many others have found that until those in the other 60% experience enough pain to realize that they are gonna die early and in extreme pain if they continue to do drugs to medicate whatever else is wrong in their life, there usually isn't a whole lot you can do to provide lasting and effective help. Sadly, no amount of pain is enough for many.
Thats what grandpa use to say too. We was some dumba$$es, but not a crybaby in the bunch

Back