Understanding the different rate of barrel twists and most compatible projectiles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My use of air rifles is on a need basis. My home on the edge of town was being over run with skunks and Rock Chucks. I got a POS break barrel spring gun. After that came a few more POS spring guns to find a good one. I don't have the ability to use a PCP. No scuba shops close and I don't want to carry a refill tank while hunting.
I finally decided to get the best spring gun in the market. I got an Air Arms TX200 22cal. I put a Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope on it. The mounts are BKL triple rings modified to never loosen up with vibration.
After shooting all my Chucks and skunks, the neighbor farmers all asked me to shoot chucks for them.
I have shot over 1800 rock Chucks in 5 years. At least 1200 of them have been with my air rifle. Some of these farms pay as much as 5 dollars per chuck.
I have the same scope on my Weihrauch 97K. Excellent scope and an excellent rifle. I got into airguns in much the same way. A friend and client needed ground squirrels cleared off her property and like a good liberal, didn’t want firearms used. I started with pcp, but quickly switched to the 97K after fooling with tanks. After a couple of summers she began to see the light and we began attacking the problem with .223’s. Last time I saw her she had a dandy CZ in the rack on her side by side.

I have the same scope on my Weihrauch 97K. Excellent scope and an excellent rifle. I got into airguns in much the same way. A friend and client needed ground squirrels cleared off her property and like a good liberal, didn’t want firearms used. I started with pcp, but quickly switched to the 97K after fooling with tanks. After a couple of summers she began to see the light and we began attacking the problem with .223’s. Last time I saw her she had a dandy CZ in the rack on her side by side.
🤣🤣🤣
CZ 527 American, CZ 527 17 hornet varmint, VZ 455 varmint 17HMR.
My CZ rifles are outstanding guns.

Attachments

• 20220627_092735.jpg
    20220627_092735.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220603_210415.jpg
    20220603_210415.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210522_180154.jpg
    20210522_180154.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210522_175104.jpg
    20210522_175104.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210521_142203.jpg
    20210521_142203.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
🤣🤣🤣
CZ 527 American, CZ 527 17 hornet varmint, VZ 455 varmint 17HMR.
My CZ rifles are outstanding guns.
What he said….
My CZ 17HMRs are as accurate as can be had in this caliber…works great on the 7year jack rabbit hourdes that plague the hayfields too…Eastern Nevada has springtime ground squirrel infestations that’ll keep your barrel heated up…ranchers often invite you to thin em out.

What he said….
My CZ 17HMRs are as accurate as can be had in this caliber…works great on the 7year jack rabbit hourdes that plague the hayfields too…Eastern Nevada has springtime ground squirrel infestations that’ll keep your barrel heated up…ranchers often invite you to thin em out.
When I was a kid I could get a dime per pair of front feet from one of our neighbors. I’d keep them in a half gallon cardboard milk containers in the freezer until I had a full half gallon and then bring them over and get paid. First half gallon was just in time to buy fireworks for Independence Day!

Dad and Grandpa never paid us boys but they kept us supplied with 22LR…

I have did hands on load work with my T/C Blk. Diamond .50 cal with a 1:28 twist rate. From 50 gr of 3 f GOEX to 70 gr i could shoot a prb out at 75 yds into a 2" group off my sand bag. Once i pushed higher as in 75 gr load it opened the group up to 3" n a bit more as i went up.

I used a .22 WMR, .223 or 7mm Rem Mag. (for the long shots) on my in-laws farm. I never had a total like that. Here in PA, we call them Ground Hogs, but no matter what you call them, they are bad news for farming equipment.
They’re hard on equipment and horses… we have the Wyoming Ground Squirrels, which attrac badgers who really raise hell and make a mess of things.

They’re hard on equipment and horses… we have the Wyoming Ground Squirrels, which attrac badgers who really raise hell and make a mess of things.

If you’ve ever called in a badger or met one moving cattle, you’d realize just how bat chit crazy grabbing that bundle of bad tempered teeth and nails truly is….that guy either has a steel pair or he’s dumb as a rock.

If you’ve ever called in a badger or met one moving cattle, you’d realize just how bat chit crazy grabbing that bundle of bad tempered teeth and nails truly is….that guy either has a steel pair or he’s dumb as a rock.
We had lots of badgers around the place growing up. I’ve had them come after horses, cows, dogs, what have you. Mom’s Jack Russell terrier Tiny hated badgers and never missed a chance to go after them. I’ve never seen a badger actually inflict any damage. They’re not particularly fast afoot. They’re quick, and yeah, don’t really back up from much of anything but I’m actually surprised nobody I know has ever tried hand catching one.

Matter of fact, if someone had thought of it and suggested it to my brothers and I, I’ll bet there’d have been a badger Rodeo. My older brother tried to bulldog a forkhorn muley off of a Arctic Cat snowmobile. That little buck kicked the snot out of him. Youth is for trying stuff like that and hoping it works out for you.

We had lots of badgers around the place growing up. I’ve had them come after horses, cows, dogs, what have you. Mom’s Jack Russell terrier Tiny hated badgers and never missed a chance to go after them. I’ve never seen a badger actually inflict any damage. They’re not particularly fast afoot. They’re quick, and yeah, don’t really back up from much of anything but I’m actually surprised nobody I know has ever tried hand catching one.

Matter of fact, if someone had thought of it and suggested it to my brothers and I, I’ll bet there’d have been a badger Rodeo. My older brother tried to bulldog a forkhorn muley off of a Arctic Cat snowmobile. That little buck kicked the snot out of him. Youth is for trying stuff like that and hoping it works out for you.

Lol... The only reason ANY real boys (the kind of boys who grow up to be REAL men....) survive their teenage years is because the Lord has a special battalion of angels assigned to them. That's one battalion of angels PER BOY.

Matter of fact, if someone had thought of it and suggested it to my brothers and I, I’ll bet there’d have been a badger Rodeo. My older brother tried to bulldog a forkhorn muley off of an Arctic Cat snowmobile. That little buck kicked the snot out of him. Youth is for trying stuff like that and hoping it works out for you.
No one thought of catching badgers barehanded ….cuz it’s 3rd on the list of “dumbest ideas“ testosterone ever gave a male child…right under peeing on the electric fence.

Back