Unfortunate news...Trigger

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
As many members here may know I decided to have my Remington Model 700 trigger from my Tar Hunt refurbished, polished and lightened by a custom triggersmith.

After finding a gentleman that specializes almost solely in this triggertype, I contacted him and arranged to send the trigger to him about 4 weeks ago. Based on all of my research this gentleman is a great business man and usually turns most triggers around in less than 7 business days.

As I had spoken to him regularly in the days before I sent the trigger out I knew he was prompt in answering any email contacts.

Imagine my surprise when 10 days came and went and I had heard nothing from him, nor had I received my trigger. I proceeded to try to contact him repeatedly over the next two weeks. I have not received a single response from him since the day I sent my trigger out. As one might imagine I was becoming very concerned, (mostly because the trigger group also contained a custom part from the Tar-Hunt, on top of the possible loss of the trigger.)

I was absolutely baffled as to how such a well respected gentleman could simply fail to respond to his customers. In fact I had just began to resign myself to the fact that the part was not going to be returned?

Then just today I realized one of the worst possible situations had occurred?

Dear customer,

Some of you will have received notice of this, others may receive it and it may not apply. I am simply replying to all those in Jim?s in box.

Mr. Pigg was injured seriously in a motorcycle accident, and remains in the hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is expected that he will be released early next week. Jim suffered some internal injuries and some broken bones, and has received skin grafts on his left side. He has assured me that he is ready and able to work on the serious backlog of triggers.

If you have received this in error I apologize. I really do not know the best thing other then to notify everyone at Jim?s request. He requested everyone be patient and that they are assured that everything will be OK.

Sincerely,
Brad J. Herbert
Friend of the family

Jim C. Pigg
Box 5169
Etna WY 83118
www.triggersmith.com

JC: Well at least the guy lived, can you imagine the mess this would be if he had been killed.

Sounds like he is wanting to get back to his trigger work. A few weeks in the hospital will do that to you.

Wolf_River_Mike said:
JC, I hope you get your trigger back. Kind of puts things in perspective does'nt it.

Thanks Mike,

For the moment it is still up in the air. Hopefully I will know more in the next few weeks.
The reality is no one can ever plan for these things, however we can all react to them in an appropriate manner.
I am confident Jim will do his best to get his business back up and running as soon as possible.

the trigger is in there hands or you wouldn't have got the email. I think all you lost is time. best of luck to you and your triggersmith! clint

I would be comforting to me that he had such communication procedures in place. A reflection of the quality business being operated inasmuch as the sole proprietor suffered serious injury with internal injuries, broken bones etc. being currently hospitalized & still managed to communicate to his customers.

Loggy said:
I would be comforting to me that he had such communication procedures in place. A reflection of the quality business being operated inasmuch as the sole proprietor suffered serious injury with internal injuries, broken bones etc. being currently hospitalized & still managed to communicate to his customers.

I agree with ya loggy! It is a shame he was injured but at least he is making an effort to communicate to his clients. I'm glad the guy is ok.

JC - How much is a replacement trigger for that gun ?

clint said:
the trigger is in there hands or you wouldn't have got the email. I think all you lost is time. best of luck to you and your triggersmith! clint

Unfortunately this is not the case. The email was sent only due to the fact that I had sent him multiple emails inquiring about the status of the trigger. Then I was sent this blanket email notifying about the problems. (Still not too worried, just waiting to hear for sure that they have it safely)

Doohan wrote:

JC - How much is a replacement trigger for that gun ?

Rem 700 triggers can replaced on the low end with a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger for around 100$. Alternatively you could take the step up and get a Jewel for around 200. (These triggers have the safety attached, however the base model replacement triggers do not have them. I would have to buy the full priced models)

Keep in mind that a small part of the firearm was shipped with the trigger to make assembly/disassembly much smoother. The time/money of replacing that part would be another issue, although I am sure Randy Fritz would do his best to provide me with his quality service.

Doohan said:
good thing you have time before the next season starts

Fortunately I don't have much to worry about there. Once I receive the package back I only need to insert and tighten two torx head screws to about 25 in/lbs with a little loctite and the gun is good to go.

In fact that was one of the nice features of his service, for the design of my particular gun. Normally the trigger falls into pieces once it is removed form the gun. These parts are then sent together to Jim who works on them, puts them back together, and tests them, only to be forced to send them back to you in pieces.

With the design of the Tar-Hunt the trigger group can be removed in one piece and sent all together. That way Jim can reassemble the whole group in his shop for me and send it to me in one piece, ready for installation.

For reference, here is a picture of the whole unit ready for shipping...(visible in silver is the Tar-Hunt trigger bracket, the upper left is the Rem 700 style attached safety, the rest is all trigger parts and housing: removing the two "trigger retaining pins" 8) visible in the top of the housing would cause the trigger group fall into pieces)
trigger1.jpg

:prayer:

(It takes a 3/32 drift punch..for those who are interested in such facts... :? )

Wooohooo...!!!

Just got the word from Jim!!!

Hi. Out of the hospital Saturday and in the shop today. Hope to be caught up by the end of the week, yours will ship before next Sat. 1000 apologies for the delay.

Jim

Jim C. Pigg
Box 5169
Etna WY 83118
www.triggersmith.com

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
JC: Great a happy ending.

Well I wish all "Happy Endings" lasted this long.... :lol:

Seriously, after over two months the trigger finally arrived today. I reinstalled it and the gun is finally ready for some serious range time.

All I have to say so far...man is it crisp.. :applause:

Back