Unless You're Desperate, Do NOT use the UPS Store

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of exchanging some important documents with another party. The UPS hub is quite far away, so I used the local UPS store. I had an envelope with four sheets of paper that was bellow the UPS minimum weight .10 oz. to overnight it with delivery by yhe end of the day was 81.48 (rip offs), but it needed to go. So by the end of today, the envelope had not left the UPS store. I contacted UPS and they said, not our problem, you used the UPS store, call them. I called the UPS store and their excuse was, "we don't control the trucks/planes". Now it will be a three day service for 81.48. Big business just takes your money then s#$ts all over people with the go ahead and sue me attitude.

Years ago I sent an overnight document from Michigan to Washington State. The document never arrived. Causing two problems. 1. a lack of document and 2. a lack of trust from the other party. Well a year went by and the local US Postal system showed up with a beaten and battered envelope. Had to pay them to get it back, Given the information inside I dare not let it go. I never got over the fact I had to pay to get it back.

Its often a crap shoot.

Last edited:
UPS and the UPS Store are two seperate companies/ entities.
Several years ago I needed to send a scope back to Leupold for warranty repair work. The guy behind the counter at the UPS Store asked me what I was shipping. I told him it was a scope. He asked if it was a scope that mounted on a rifle. I said yes. He said "I'm sorry sir, we can not ship anything related to firearms".
To say I was pissed is an understatement. I will never do business with, or step foot inside another UPS Store ever again.

UPS and the UPS Store are two seperate companies/ entities.
Several years ago I needed to send a scope back to Leupold for warranty repair work. The guy behind the counter at the UPS Store asked me what I was shipping. I told him it was a scope. He asked if it was a scope that mounted on a rifle. I said yes. He said "I'm sorry sir, we can not ship anything related to firearms".
To say I was pissed is an understatement. I will never do business with, or step foot inside another UPS Store ever again.
I learned this close to 20 years ago and will drive whatever I need shipped to it’s destination myself before I use a UPS store.

I live in rural east TX with few options for shipping packages. Due to a highway expansion project, the building our FedEx hub rented was “condemned”, so instead of relocating, they merged with another hub in the closest town 30 miles away where our closest UPS hub is also located. I absolutely hate dealing with USPS, but it’s my only option now unless I want to drive 60 miles and probably spend 2 hours of my day to ship a package.🤬

Several years ago, in order for an "unlicensed" person ( a non-FFL holder) to ship a firearm via UPS, you had to ship it directly from a UPS Customer Center (& not from an independently owned/operated UPS Store franchise location), & according to federal law, the firearm could only be shipped to an FFL holder or to yourself, such as shipping a gun to yourself at a remote hunting lodge ahead of your arrival to avoid having to fly with a firearm as checked baggage.

However, more recently, UPS has modified their shipping policies to prohibit unlicensed persons from shipping firearms or even firearms parts (with the exception of optics for some reason) via any of the services they offer. In order to ship firearms and/or firearms parts via UPS these days, you must be a "federally licensed" manufacturer, dealer, importer, etc. and "have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products. No exceptions. https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...egulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

There's been no changes in federal law regarding these activities, merely a policy change @ UPS to prohibit individuals for practicing lawful commerce.
Although I have no proof, I strongly suspect that this change came about due to the the heavy hand of the federal government under the Biden administration, leaning on corporations to discourage their involvement in facilitating anything to do with lawful firearms commerce, the same as they did with the banking industry to persuade banks from financial dealings with firearms manufacturers, distributors, & retailers and persuading credit card companies to track firearms related purchases of their cardholders. I say this because FedEx also similarly changed their policies regarding firearms related shipments around the same time that UPS did... https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html

Now before you dismiss this as just another conspiracy theory, check it out for yourself.

Between undelivered packages, lost packages and late shipments , I am not a fan of the Brown Truck guys. I live in a rural area and basically have to track my packages and try and meet up with the truck.

I mail order some items and have been doing so for 25 years. I have been using USPS for that long. In all those years, we have only had to refund on two packages. Unfortunately they don't allow firearms or reloading components. There recent changes to pricing and priority mail box size stinks.

Yesterday, I got a shipment of powder from the brown truck while I was working along the road. If I wasn't there, I don't think it would have been delivered.

FedEx can be a hit or miss with us too. They are about 75% but the drivers beat the crap out of our driveway.

It's like playing roulette. 😒

Many of the stores are franchisees. They may only have deliveries and pickups twice a week too not every day. You pretty much need to find out when a particular stores gets its deliveries and pickups. Plus sometimes the truck driver skips a store too. I have had a driver leave a notice on my door but it is several days before he/she actually drops the package off at the UPS store.

I have been using USPS for that long. In all those years, we have only had to refund on two packages. Unfortunately they don't allow firearms or reloading components.

Not true ... USPS (post office) is the only player left in the shipping industry that will take firearms (long guns) from unlicensed shippers.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

They will also ship some reloading components, bullets & unprimed brass, but no "live ammunition", powder or primers (things that require a haz-mat certificate). https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_020.htm#ep898624

Last edited:
On a related subject, we’ve never had a problem receiving FedEx or UPS packages, but the last two FedEx deliveries have been dropped off at the end of my driveway 300 yards from my house. Granted, you can’t see our house from the road, but even if there’s a new driver, that’s no excuse to not actually delivering a package.

Not true ... USPS (post office) is the only player left in the shipping industry that will take firearms (long guns) from unlicensed shippers.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

They will also ship some reloading components, bullets & unprimed brass, but no "live ammunition", powder or primers (things that require a haz-mat certificate). https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_020.htm#ep898624
And before they were the last they were still the cheapest, even for pistols (cheap hard case into a priority large box and $20 to the FFL )

I think we will all have more problems with all of the Carriers. Case in point, my pkg. was picked up in Mexico, Mo. by Fedex yesterday. Was taken to Columbia, Mo. Then instead of it coming to the big Springfield, Mo. Hub. Someone delivered it to Lenexa, Ks. Tracking showed would deliver this morning, i have my doubts. It's now headed for Springfield, Mo. Does it make me happy ? No, makes so mad i don't want to make another order to Graf & son's. Who would i order from then ? All of them do it, because they can get away with it. Once i make my next order, it will be my last !

I learned this close to 20 years ago and will drive whatever I need shipped to it’s destination myself before I use a UPS store.

I live in rural east TX with few options for shipping packages. Due to a highway expansion project, the building our FedEx hub rented was “condemned”, so instead of relocating, they merged with another hub in the closest town 30 miles away where our closest UPS hub is also located. I absolutely hate dealing with USPS, but it’s my only option now unless I want to drive 60 miles and probably spend 2 hours of my day to ship a package.🤬
A lot of stores will except shipments for UPS and FedEx you can find a list on the website of each company. As an example most Dollar General stores in my area do this for both and some Pharmacies .Just thought you may not know this. Good Luck

I was supposed to send a pistol back to a manufacturer and was told that " we don't ship guns". I am going to ask the postmaster if he knows that long guns are ok.

Having said that, how the hell are we supposed to mail a pistol back to a manufacturer? Please don't say UPS. My faith in them is at low tide.

When I've needed to ship a gun to the manufacturer I make the company send me the shipping label. Once it's packed up I have it picked up at my house by FEDEX. I guess this works since the company is actually shipping it since they provide the label.

Latest posts

Back