Using pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodanlboone

Reaction score
Definite novice here who enjoys firing percussion revolvers. I have inherited a CVA Magbolt (no jokes please) from my deceased father ahd want to try to get a Michigan deer with it this year. My question is if I use a 60 grain and a 30 grain pellet, does it matter which one goes into the barrel first when loading?

It doesn't matter which pellet you put in the barrel first. As long as both have a center hole it will make zero difference.
Imho, 60grains is the minimum that I would shoot. I prefer a little more, like 80-90. But you should get it to the range and learn what it likes. I think you will find the 295PB performs really well at less than 100grains. My friend shoots the 295PB on 2 50grn pellets from his CVA Wolf and it is super accurate for him to 50 yards.

That Magbolt is a decent rifle.
I don't think one pellet would be enough.
As far as the loading sequence, I don't know if it matters which one you use first. I don't use pellets myself, only loose powder.

Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader.com nodanlboone! And good luch on the deer hunt.

Thanks! And thank you, deermanok……first kind word I have heard about the Magbolt, even after I got the rifle and tried to look it up on line it seemed CVA didn’t want to admit making it…..seems a decent rifle to me except for being a pain to get the primer in that small bolt opening…..

Thanks! And thank you, deermanok……first kind word I have heard about the Magbolt, even after I got the rifle and tried to look it up on line it seemed CVA didn’t want to admit making it…..seems a decent rifle to me except for being a pain to get the primer in that small bolt opening…..
Your welcome. There's a plastic, flexible capper available for use with primers.
I've seen for sale a few places online. Supposed to be pretty good.
Deercreek Products of Waldron, Indiana is a source for parts or information on your CVA.
They bought out all the old parts from older model guns and have a pretty good inventory of vintage parts.
Good luck hunting with your dad's gun.

I did replace the breech plug, looked like my dad or whomever had it before him had used a screwdriver to remove and replace the old one.....

Try two 50 grain Triple Seven pellets.

Owned a couple CVA Mag Hunter, Mag Bolt rifles. They really are good guns. One of mine had a good Leupold scope. Made several one shot kills on deer and hogs at over 175 yards using three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and the 240 grain .430 grain XTP bullet.

impressive! mine has a cheap scope on it, but i don't expect to shoot at anything more than 60 or so yards away...............

Latest posts

Back