what broadhead will you be using for deer this year ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most mechanicals can be banded with a dental band to stay closed for crossbow use and still easily open on the critter .

3 Blade fixed Satellite 100 grain Broadheads for my Compound. 125 grain Magnus 2 Blade for my Traditional Bows.

Here are my newer points for my wood arrows and Osage selfbow for this year. They average 100 to 110 grains. I use cedar or fir shafts. I drill a 1/8" hole about 3" deep into the point of the shaft and add soldier from a roll into the shaft for weight, weighing my arrows and length of soldier until I get the same weight on all shafts with shaft, weight and point. The weight forward helps with penetration on the bigger deer in KS or pigs. I usually get my arrows built, weighing around 550 to 600 grains total.tempImageJGTpzn.png

Here are my newer points for my wood arrows and Osage selfbow for this year. They average 100 to 110 grains. I use cedar or fir shafts. I drill a 1/8" hole about 3" deep into the point of the shaft and add soldier from a roll into the shaft for weight, weighing my arrows and length of soldier until I get the same weight on all shafts with shaft, weight and point. The weight forward helps with penetration on the bigger deer in KS or pigs. I usually get my arrows built, weighing around 550 to 600 grains total.View attachment 32993
Those arrowheads are beautiful. What do you tie them on with...sinew?

Here are my newer points for my wood arrows and Osage selfbow for this year. They average 100 to 110 grains. I use cedar or fir shafts. I drill a 1/8" hole about 3" deep into the point of the shaft and add soldier from a roll into the shaft for weight, weighing my arrows and length of soldier until I get the same weight on all shafts with shaft, weight and point. The weight forward helps with penetration on the bigger deer in KS or pigs. I usually get my arrows built, weighing around 550 to 600 grains total.View attachment 32993
Please forgive me for the dumb question, but are those flint heads?
Spectacular work anyway.

Yes, they are flint from different parts of the country. The two on the left came from rock we picked up around Ft Hood, TX in pieces from the size of a basketball to tennis ball sizes. the two in the middle are from the Ada, OK area called Frisco. The two of the right came from Oregon and Idaho from a friend that I make arrows for.
On my wood and river cane arrows I cut a slot in the forend and rasp and sand each shaft into a groove until the point will fit with bottom of the point resting on the bottom of the slot and the sides are snug where I can center the point and after I get it close I will spin the shaft to check for the point following the line of the shaft and spin true. After I get that right I will put a couple of drops of super glue or epoxy on the base of the point and when It's drying I check again for it being true. When dry I use regular sinew I process from deer or elk legs and shred the sinew into very fine thread like strands and dip them in warm hide glue and wrap tightly around the shaft and head unit secure.
It only takes a small piece of deer antler with a small point to flat very small pieces off of the edges to make as sharp as a razor.
The point on the left is called root beer or mahogany rock. The point on the right is from NE Oklahoma a Southern KS is what I'm told. Both of these run about 125grn weight and are both tied on with sinew. The one the right is one I won at one of our OJAM, Oklahoma Jamboree for building selfbows.
Mike
tempImage8Frl0u.pngtempImagegI05uk.png

I’m not sure yet I have to do some more testing. I’m considering the G5 mega meat, the Excalibur, 150 grain bolt cutter, and a couple of others. When it’s all said and done, I might stay with my Grim Reaper 125 pros

Greg

100 grain G5 Montecs
I own an Elite Terrain compound bow 55-70 lb. I just purchased the G5 Montec broadheads. What would be the best type of broadhead for turkey hunting? And, which brand of arrow/grain/spine?

Thanks and happy hunting.

I own an Elite Terrain compound bow 55-70 lb. I just purchased the G5 Montec broadheads. What would be the best type of broadhead for turkey hunting? And, which brand of arrow/grain/spine?

Thanks and happy hunting.
I use them on my crossbow bolts and have not turkey hunted with them...Sorry
Ive been using G5’s from my bow and crossbow. IF i were hunting turkey i think i would consider switching to an expanding broad head.

Well I've been using Rage 125 gr in my X-bow for the past 5 years and they have accounted for about a dozen deer with all but two going more than about 50 yards after the shot. And those expired within 100 yards. Never had a failure to open.
That being said I used fixed blade BHs for years. Some I've used Slick Trick, Magnus Stinger, Muzzy 3 and 4 blade and Bear Razorheads. I had a Muzzy 4 blade glance off a rib just behind the left front shoulder and make a hard turn exiting the opposite side just in front of the hind quarter which I found out the next day after the coyotes found him before I did! That deer should have expired easily within 100 yards.
Besides Rage, the best luck I've had with BHs are the Magnus Stingers. They fly great but their flaw tho is that they bend easily causing erratic flight. You MUST use new ones for hunting. (They do honor their guarantee with free replacement)

Grim Reaper Pro Series Crossbow 100's for me. I'm shooting them from both my Stryker Katana 385 and a Scorpyd Tremor. The Katana shoots them @ 335 fps and the Tremor @ 440 fps. Zero issues with them opening up or not opening up.

Latest posts

Back