what broadhead will you be using for deer this year ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm looking at the sevr robusto and grim reaper pro series whitetail extreme or their whitetail special .
i'll be using a barnett DRT405 (xp400 with a different paint job) with a vortex crossfire 2 crossbow scope.
will be my first year hunting deer . i'm really liking the 3 and 4 blade GR's for their cut pattern and i know they'll need dental bands for crossbow use . but i like the lower profile of the robusto and the screw to use it similar to a broadhead so it doesn't tear up the target and dull the blades .
anyhow ..... what will you folks be using ?

I had posted earlier what I was considering but after several discussions with Sevr & the fact that I’m getting 385ft/s with a Bloodsport Witness, brass insert, & 150 grain tip, I’ve decided to go with the Sevr Robusto

Greg

Muzzy 3-blade has worked great for me. Hit a rock, or shoot through a deer, hit something hard and they are done. At less than $5 per broadhead I can live with that. Otherwise, I can re-sharpen them and get another chance.

I've been using Thunderheads for years and they are very good broadheads! I bought some Swackers last year to try in my crossbow and they shoot good but haven't gotten to shoot any deer with em yet.

I've been using Thunderheads for years and they are very good broadheads! I bought some Swackers last year to try in my crossbow and they shoot good but haven't gotten to shoot any deer with em yet.
Swackers are good heads. Been using them for a number of years. They do a lot of damage to a deer.

Swackers are good heads. Been using them for a number of years. They do a lot of damage to a deer.
They definitely shoot good out of my older Horton Summit Elite! I've had several chances to take a doe with em but I passed. I believe that the ones I have are 2in cut. I can imagine the damage that they will do!

They definitely shoot good out of my older Horton Summit Elite! I've had several chances to take a doe with em but I passed. I believe that the ones I have are 2in cut. I can imagine the damage that they will do!
I'm pretty sure mine are the 2 inch blades. 125 grainers. Never lost a deer yet.
Not the best picture but an example of my last deer shot with one.20211212_173307.jpg

I’ll be using the Carbon Express XT4 heads again this year.

I just thought I would pass this along for those using mechanical heads. I have a buddy in Oklahoma with a dog that blood trails deer for the public, and according to the deer he’s tracked over the last 3-4 years (60+/- deer/year), 40% were due to some kind of failure with a mechanical broadhead.

No question...125 gr Rage Hypodermics. I've shot 6 deer with them and all but one went more the 50 yards before going down. Always had a pass thru.
I was always skeptical about mechanicals and used Magnus Stingers for years with good success bit the Rages are just awesome. And even if for some reason they didn't deploy the still make a big enough wound channel.

I had posted earlier that it would be Sevr Robusto 150’s but I’m having a tough time choosing between those & Alien Archery SBT 150’s

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Thorn "CROWN" Fixed Blade or maybe their expandable. They are devastating!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827-105235_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827-105235_Chrome.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210917_175158.jpg
    20210917_175158.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210917_174725.jpg
    20210917_174725.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’ll be using the Carbon Express XT4 heads again this year.

I just thought I would pass this along for those using mechanical heads. I have a buddy in Oklahoma with a dog that blood trails deer for the public, and according to the deer he’s tracked over the last 3-4 years (60+/- deer/year), 40% were due to some kind of failure with a mechanical broadhead.
I’ve had nothing but great luck with the swackers..! Killed many….

I’ve had nothing but great luck with the swackers..! Killed many….
I know a lot of people that use mechanical broadheads and have great luck with them, but it could be one of those things where you have great luck until you don’t.

I’m not knocking mechanicals, but I‘m just passing on some information I found interesting even if relatively unscientific.

I know a lot of people that use mechanical broadheads and have great luck with them, but it could be one of those things where you have great luck until you don’t.

I’m not knocking mechanicals, but I‘m just passing on some information I found interesting even if relatively unscientific.
Some people don't have a choice. Fixed heads don't fly predictably out of high FPS crossbows.

Back