What did I do Wrong? Bullet lube question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use beeswax as a carrier till I learned of another called Kokum butter. Lot higher smoke point and a very good carrier. Also one of the main ingredients in the original White Lightning Lube.

Sorta surprised you dont see refined coconut oil listed much in lube recipes. LouAna brand for example is cheap, has a high smoke point and dont smell like coconuts. Makes great popcorn too :p.

https://louana.com/product/coconut-oil/

I bet that Refined Coconut oil would work good in lube Recipes :lewis: Wonder what it’s Flashpoint is Compared to Skunk Fat? If i send you some SSL (Super Skunk Lube) You wanna test the Flashpoint against that Refined Coconut oil and Report back here with your Findings? :p:D

I only use it for popcorn....and sometimes brownies. :p Nothing beats it for popcorn.

Best cooking oil for smoke point is rice bran oil and avocado oil. Both are a liquid though at room temp and avocado oil is some expensive stuff. Rice bran oil isnt exactly cheap either unless you find a gallon of Riceland brand frying oil.....MMmmmm good stuff too.

I only use it for popcorn....and sometimes brownies. :p Nothing beats it for popcorn.

Best cooking oil for smoke point is rice bran oil and avocado oil. Both are a liquid though at room temp and avocado oil is some expensive stuff. Rice bran oil isnt exactly cheap either unless you find a gallon of Riceland brand frying oil.....MMmmmm good stuff too.

This Rendered Skunk Fat smelled DARN Good, The Cracklings we’re tempting! You might test this Rendered Skunk Fat on Popcorn? Cmon Ole Buddy, be a Sport here :p

Of all the oils tested, Avocado did have the highest smoke point. So the mix of a carrier, a tallow and an oil should make a fine lube

Of all the oils tested, Avocado did have the highest smoke point. So the mix of a carrier, a tallow and an oil should make a fine lube

Funny you mention Avocado, that’s an ingredient i use due to it’s SUPER HIGH Flash Point. I also use Peanut Oil, In fact my Dad just Shot his Rifle today with My Peanut Oil lubed Wool felt.

This is the one i have been using, HIGH Heat 500 F

WCyVG5Rl.jpg

Yup, It can be costly. And Kokum butter costs about twice the price of beeswax. I don't think Dan tested the ricebran oil. Like I said of those tested. Since he passed I guess we'll never know. ;)

IMO you are using way too much beeswax. I'd remelt it and add some more crisco and lanolin. You can also cut it some with a bit of Murphy's oil soap, mineral oil or olive oil.

Latest posts

Back