What load will you use this year?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.52 DE, 375gr Barnes/Knight, 110 gr t7 FFF

.50 Disk, 275gr Bloodline, 110gr t7 FFF

Hoping to get a chance to throw some 52/500 at paper and give them a try on the late elk season. If I go that route will be 85 to 95 grain of t7. I doubt I will get a chance to deer hunt this year.

In the re=barreled Savbrux 45 it's 200 gr. 40 cal SST w/light knurl in smooth blue sabot on top of 61 grains of H4198 light the fire with Win209. This gives around 2600 fps. Accuracy off bags is .8 moa or better but hunting can be a bit different, most of my shots are less than 90 yds so no worries. This is my current "beanfield" shooter and will be used for whatever shows up, deer, turkey or bear.

In the 700ML upgrade, it's a short barreled lighter type, it's 33 grains of precious 4759 under a smooth blue sabot with a light knurled 200 grain 40 cal XTP lit off by a Win209. This is my "carry gun" for calling stands, stalk hunting and rainy day creeping hunts, shots are close and accuracy is very good and it will take whatever presents itself for harvest.

In my factory tweaked up Savage MLII 50 it's black crush rib holding a lightly knurled Barnes Original .458 at 300 grains sitting on top of 38 grains of 4759 also lit off by a Win209. This is for deer or bear. As my 4759 is diminishing I'm going to try some Rel-7 loads in this gun.

Interesting to see what most are shooting. Like most of the guys in the club or that I hunt with BH209 is popular with some Pyrodex and 777 still showing up. However the SML is growing and becoming popular. W

Observation!
I see alot of 200sst load posted. These bullets will dump energy extremely fast and are very tuff. Seems if you dont hit bone you will get very little expansion and very tuff to blood trail and if shot is very far energy will be down and lack of penetration.
Just question

Knight disc elite SS 45cal
Barnes expander 195gr
Harvester smooth blue sabot
Fed 209a primer
Blackhorn 209 105gr
Shoots under 3/4" @100yd
Always puts deer down quick.

That 200 Shockwave/SST works fine, as long as you keep the BH209 powder grains down to 90 or under. The 200gr SST test-link Ron provided above has me rethinking my ML bullet selection this fall.

I run the 200SST at 2700fps +/- and they drop deer just fine. High shoulder drops them.

Omega45 said:
I run the 200SST at 2700fps +/- and they drop deer just fine. High shoulder drops them.

I have no doubt. You have better than 30-06 ballistics. Should knock a deer flat. Actually, it should knock a moose flat.

Muley Hunter said:
Omega45 said:

I have no doubt. You have better than 30-06 ballistics. Should knock a deer flat. Actually, it should knock a moose flat.

Don't know about moose but work fine on MD whitetails.

GoexBlackhorn said:
That 200 Shockwave/SST works fine, as long as you keep the BH209 powder grains down to 90 or under. The 200gr SST test-link Ron provided above has me rethinking my ML bullet selection this fall.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Ive shot them far faster with excellent results. The jacket on the 200gr SST is nearly .040 thick at the base and as thick or thicker than the rest of the SST lineup along the sides. In the boiler room it will produce 2 holes quite often but they can be messy on a high shoulder.

I prefer expansion over pass-thru. I also prefer soft-medium felt-recoil to stiff. I never use more than 90 grains anymore. So my interest is in bullets that fare well using less powder.

The two best mushrooming bullets I ever used were both lead. Hornady PA Conical and Precision QT Polymer Tip or Extreme Elite sabots. My soft pine tree trunk tests show a little different than the water jug tests posted here.

I'd like to see some bullet testing here done on abrupt/stop targets. Find out which bullets darn-near totally disintegrate....... like the 180gr 44-cal T/C Mag Express bullets I tested last fall on a soft-pine trunk. I'm sure the Bloodline bullets and some of the Lehighs would fare well thou.

I prefer expansion over pass-thru. I also prefer soft-medium felt-recoil to stiff. I never use more than 90 grains anymore. So my interest is in bullets that fare well using less powder.

I would have some reservations about using a 200gr SST with light loads unless you keep the impact distance closer. That somewhat defeats the purpose of a tipped bullet. Add in the fact you would be using a 50x40cal sabot, i think there are bullets that would serve you far better with this criteria in mind.

The .451 or .429 200gr or 225gr XPB seems to fit this need far better. Cabelas often has a sale on them for about $15/20

Muley Hunter said:
How far can you shoot before you have to use hold over?

I'm currently 1" high at 100yds and its 1.5-2" low at 200yds shooting them around 2800fps in a Rem 700ML .40cal with 23" barrel. My range only goes to 200yds and thats about the longest shot I have available where I hunt.

Latest posts

Back