What should I buy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Tikka T3 Lite in 270wsm. With Winchester 140gr Accubond CT's I've gotten groups of 9/16". The 270wsm and 7mm wsm are virtually identical. I bought my rifle for 565 american dollars(not sure what that equals in Canadian) a steal for a stainless, accurate, and light weight gun. Nosler chambers their guns in this caliber and consider it perfect for all North American game. Just my 2 cents.
RAF said:
I just got back from the gun shop. Nothing new in my gun room :) but saw something I like and going to give it some serious thought. I'm leaning towards a 300 WSM. The one I looked at was a Tikka but in 300 win mag(no WSM in stock at the moment). I like the feel of the rifle. It was blued with synthetic stock. Balance was great and it was light. It was priced good too, $719. I could easily load it with 150 grain bullets and should work good on deer and if I went for something bigger, it wouldn't be hard to step up to a heavier bullet. There is a draw back. They're not interested in my 30-06 because it's an auto loader. They say there have been problems with the extractor on the 7400 models. Mine is a model 4 so it's older. There's also concern about the ever evolving gun laws and there may be a problem in the future with auto loaders.

Thanks for your opinion. It was suggested to me that I should take a real serious look at the 7mm WSM. I did a little reading and it looks interesting but I think I'll stick with the 300 WSM.

RAF said:
Thanks for your opinion. It was suggested to me that I should take a real serious look at the 7mm WSM. I did a little reading and it looks interesting but I think I'll stick with the 300 WSM.

Good choice I think the 7wsm will be going the way of the dodo bird. The 270 and 300 wsm are in for a long stay IMHO. If the bullet manufacturer's finally deciede it is time for NA to adopt an 8mm cartridge then the 325wsm should as well. It might be something to consider, 180 gr Nosler partition or Accubond would work fine for deer to moose - if you like the idea of one rifle/load for everything. Though same could be said about the 300wsm with 180 gr of either as well.

I can't really help in your auto question, I have loaded for a few BARs in the past. The main thing I remember was OAL and keeping the power down a touch to avoid jamming on cycle.

Deernut I am a southpaw as well. So far I have seen on american gun seller sites the T3 LH in .270 win, .308 and 3006. Nothing yet in a wsm, 7mm or 300 offering.

Just had a little hic up in my plans to buy this new rifles. To start with I just filed my 2006 income tax return and am expecting a healthy refund which will cover the cost of the rifle and a new scope. However, my Jiffy Ice auger is about 15 years old and getting a little tired. Tried to get some work done on it but nothing seems to be working, so, I went out and bought a brand new one :D but now I'll have to do some figuring how to cover the cost of the rifle. Just another delema :cool:.

Buying an ice auger with a month left in the season....must have got a sweet deal! :lol:

Deernut as a followup: recently have held T3 SS LH in 270wsm, 300wsm and B on B 2506rem. If they are in our neck of the woods then they must be available elsewhere.

SKhunter said:
Buying an ice auger with a month left in the season....must have got a sweet deal! :lol:

Yup, got a good deal. Also, like you said, there's still a month in the season and my plans is to take advantage of that month. Weather should be better and will be able to get out. All I have to do is sell the old auger to someone who knows more about carbs. That might help pay for the rifle :wink:

The original came with an 8" auger. Have since bought a 10". Am thinking about keeping the 10". Will let it go for $200.

Latest posts

Back