what trail camera to get

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was wanting to get a trail cam for behind the house and deer hunting ,do you need to buy plan with all the ones that send picture's to your house or cell, picked one up yesterday that didn't even have a place for a sim card, took it back let me know what you have and how it works thanks.

I think there are some that have a free basic plan of some sort but I don’t know which ones, maybe Spypoint?
I use Tactacam Reveal XB’s and a basic plan costs $5 per month, a little less than that if you do an annual plan. They used to come with both an AT&T and Verizon SIM card but now it’s one that does both and it may be preinstalled.

I’ve been using Spartans for since 2g was the latest and greatest thing, and I’m currently running 5.

If you’re just running cameras behind your house, I don’t see any reason to use cell cams, and I highly recommend Gardepro non cell cams.

Behind the house - yeah I’d go with standard cams. I run about a dozen standard and cellular year round. If you want the best I’d recommend some of the Browning models. I just bought ten more Browning Spec Ops Elite HP5s. If you read reviews, browning are always at the top. Fantastic battery life, photos and video.

I bought spypoint cellular top of the line last year. Spypoint flex S without reading the reviews, big mistake. They have excellent battery life, i think they would run for ever. However i really think they put all their investment in the battery and very little into their camera. The pictures are poor quality and when you blow them up, they are totally worthless. Their help center is like having tits on a boar hog, worthless also. Do not waste your money on Spypoint cameras!! If you want i will sell you 4…shorty

I bought spypoint cellular top of the line last year. Spypoint flex S without reading the reviews, big mistake. They have excellent battery life, i think they would run for ever. However i really think they put all their investment in the battery and very little into their camera. The pictures are poor quality and when you blow them up, they are totally worthless. Their help center is like having tits on a boar hog, worthless also. Do not waste your money on Spypoint cameras!! If you want i will sell you 4…shorty
The camera is good. The compressed pictures that get sent to your phone just suck, the no two ways about it. I get 100 free pics a month with my Spypoint and they're not even worth looking at. The pics that come off the card are good though. Even still, my next cam will be a different brand and won't be a cell cam.

Reveal X - I ran Spypoints for a number of years, and have switched over in the last 3-4 seasons.

Reveals FOV is wider, better trigger speed, and their cell plan is easy to use. I have two in Idaho on my parents place for security - no issues getting pictures or changing camera settings from Virginia.

Locally - no difference running them.

The quality of the thumbnail images that get sent to you depends on a lot of things. The simpler the background, the better, so snow helps and the worst pictures are at dawn and dusk when there isn’t enough natural light and the cam lights don’t really help. I can request an HD picture but they are only marginally better.

Have to decide what is best for you - behind the house I would go a standard cam - you can check this whenever you want. Many very good cams out there and some cheap ones. I use spypoint and reveal. I like spypoints because the cell cam plan of $99 a year for 250 pics each cam is great - i have a lot of cams. While yes they are grainy resolution pics they show me what i need to know. Ill take better pics when i have my hands on them lol

Typically with electronic items you get what you pay for..but I tell ya what the cheaper tasco trail cameras..typically under 40$…are absolutely relentless..and clear photos and they capture movement very well. As for a standard trail Camera they are hard to beat for the price..I’ve been running 4 of the since 2019 with no problems…for what your wa ting to do I would go with a standard camera like this.

Agree with Steelheader323 - i have several tascos with spypoint cell links & also use them as a standard cam & they work. Ill try to post some pics later that they took

Behind the house - yeah I’d go with standard cams. I run about a dozen standard and cellular year round. If you want the best I’d recommend some of the Browning models. I just bought ten more Browning Spec Ops Elite HP5s. If you read reviews, browning are always at the top. Fantastic battery life, photos and video.
I’ve been running Browning Strike Force cameras for about 15 years (same cameras), but they’re gradually starting to crap out. They make (or at least used to make) great cameras, and I couldn’t be happier with mine.
I was going to start replacing my Brownings with Brownings but gambled on Gardepro, and I’ll definitely buy more as needed.

I bought a Muddy Pro cam back in October and it seems to take good pictures and the video is so so. It was $80 from Menards. It came with a 16gb card and batteries. I recommend the camera mount for mounting the camera. They're about $10. Menards has the same cam package for $60 now. It was pretty easy to set up. The batteries were getting low in mid December so I replaced them but the cam was out for 2 1/2 months!

ok decided to keep the moultrie edge, this is cool sitting at the house nice and warm getting pictures from my deer stand, does anyone know how the video works requested one but don't on how to retrieve it

Back