What's your favorite FlintLock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have owned Traditions, T/C, and Lyman. And buy far the best
has been the Lyman DeerStalker. The Lyman seems to have a much better built trigger assembly also. I also really like the stock on it. Great looking Muzzleloader. If your looking for a flintlock, check out a lyman DeerStalker. Very accurate as well.

I agree with you there Tom. I have the Left Handed version and it sure is fun to shoot. I've gone into a couple of ML stores and they all say the same thing about Lyman Flintlock ML's.

I'm still working up a good load for mine. I've gotten pretty good results with 90gr of Goex 3F and 245gr PowerBelts. I may try some I think they are 358gr PowerBelts and see what happens. What load has worked for you?

Ed

Well, BOTH of you have more experience with flintlocks than I do which is ZERO!

Grouse said:
I have owned Traditions, T/C, and Lyman. And buy far the best
has been the Lyman DeerStalker. The Lyman seems to have a much better built trigger assembly also. I also really like the stock on it. Great looking Muzzleloader. If your looking for a flintlock, check out a lyman DeerStalker. Very accurate as well.

The only flinter (and sidelock) I've shot of late is the A & H Mountain rifle: 1:28 twist so it does well w/ 348 gr. Powerbelts and 340 Dead Center sabots, with XS Sights Ghost rings on the back end.

Good looking, and 1-1/2" @ 100 yards with the iron. The stock is far more comfy to me than the Hawken.

edmehlig said:
I agree with you there Tom. I have the Left Handed version and it sure is fun to shoot. I've gone into a couple of ML stores and they all say the same thing about Lyman Flintlock ML's.

I'm still working up a good load for mine. I've gotten pretty good results with 90gr of Goex 3F and 245gr PowerBelts. I may try some I think they are 358gr PowerBelts and see what happens. What load has worked for you?

Ed

Hey Ed, Randy told me to buy some bullets off cecil for my Flintlocks.
I cant remember the name of them. I bought 300grn, and boy they shoot. When i get home i will post the name of them. They even shot good out of my Savage.

big6x6 said:

You'd do well, Chuck-- think of it as a "springer" on steroids, and just let it happen.

big6x6 said:

They are in my opinion a good way to practice shooting. I enjoy using them in PA after Christmas. I thought you bought one Chuck?

My favorite is the first one I bot & still own. A TC PA Hunter 31" bbl 1-66 twister. Great roundball shooter. Unfortunately, TC stopped making the PA Hunter several years ago. Oh I forgot, its a 50 Caliber. :lol:

I also have a TC Firestorm flinter with a 1-48 bbl. Its a fine hunting gun with F.O. sights and a very fast lock. Also a 50 Caliber. :lol:

Loggy said:
My favorite is the first one I bot & still own. A TC PA Hunter 31" bbl 1-66 twister. Great roundball shooter. Unfortunately, TC stopped making the PA Hunter several years ago. Oh I forgot, its a 50 Caliber. :lol:

I also have a TC Firestorm flinter with a 1-48 bbl. Its a fine hunting gun with F.O. sights and a very fast lock. Also a 50 Caliber. :lol:

I got the PA hunter as well Loggy. I hunted with it two or three times. I put it in the gun cabinet at my parents house in NC. It's a fine looking gun.

They are in my opinion a good way to practice shooting. I enjoy using them in PA after Christmas. I thought you bought one Chuck?

No I have not.. I ALMOST did... I really just don't want to mess with black powder.

No store-bought gun for me!

Mine is a .50 fullstock Hawken with a L&R flint lock, 34" long Getz tapered barrel.

I have a Lyman GPR that usually goes with me after Christmas. With a couple little adjustments, it's faster than any other flinter I have ever shot.

I have two Thompson Center .50 caliber Flintlocks and a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle. To be honest the Trade Rifle is the most dependable out of the three. I should state one of the Hawkins needs work, but for the price I got it, I could not pass it up.

My next one will be a .58 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins from Foxridge Outfitters. I really like big bores.

I thought about getting a custom Long rifle but I was watching a person clean theirs the other day with the flush kit and all because the barrel is pinned not wedged, so they recommend not to remove the barrel. What a pain in the .... he had towels wrapped around the wood to protect that, and then the flush kit came off and sprayed all over the place. I like the hooked breech of my rifles where I can pull the barrel and clean it and be done with it...

I have a little 36 caliber Pedersoli Kentucky style flintlock. Patched round ball and 30 grains of Goex FFF makes a fun squirrel, rabbit and plinking load.

Latest posts

Back