What's your favorite hunting knife?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
I was messing around with my hunting equipment, and I was just wondering what everybody else was calling their favorite hunting knife?

So what's your favorite hunting knife?

Although I've carried a lot of different knives over the years and they've all worked nicely, I've taken fancy to the finnish Puuku Knives of late.  They are carbon steel so they need a little more care than the stainless types but that's not a problem with Jon's new Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube.  (Jon...no charge for the plug)  :>)  Below is a picture of my Puuku's, Woodsnife and Kellam.

knife_zpsynmwhqoo.jpg

A Buck 110 that i've used since the 70's. I can't remember before that. It was a fixed blade, but I forgot the brand name. I got it in the 40's.

My brother still carries a Buck 110.  I had one from the 70's that I carried for a long time but finally sold it on ebay.  Not everything I do is smart.  :(

I remember we had a thread on Buck 110's on another forum. Everybody took pictures and show their knives. I did too. here's mine.

knife1.jpg

I have used a very lightweight Gerber lockblade folder with a green plastic handle for about 20 years until I lost it 2 years ago. The newer Gerbers are made in China and are junk.
My BIL heard I lost mine so he tracked down a like-new one with red handle (so I wouldn't lose it as easily) and gave it to me for Christmas that year.

My back-up is a Buck folder with an orange handle that my daughter gave me this last Christmas.

A Cold Steel Master Hunter and a Khyber drop point folding lock back with micarta scales  are always in my back pack. A bone handled carbon Steel Case XX Trapper from the '70s is always I my pocket. And a Leatherman tool is usually on my belt.

JohnHouse1_zpslbz34y5w.jpg

Kentucky long knife made by John House of Kentucky in the Woodbury style.
Made in the old traditional way. I keep it well oiled. The blade was forged from 1084 
stock. The blade is 7" from tip to poured pewter collar. Overall 11 5/8." The handle 
is white tail deer antler. Through tang pinned down into an iron domed end cap.

Muley said:
I remember we had a thread on Buck 110's on another forum. Everybody took pictures and show their knives. I did too. here's mine.
That is what I have -  an old Buck I have had since the early 70s back in Virginia.
I am partial to the brass and wood and leather.
Ron
(P.S. That is the 1970s, not the 1870s)

Kentucky Colonel said:
JohnHouse1_zpslbz34y5w.jpg

Kentucky long knife made by John House of Kentucky in the Woodbury style.
Made in the old traditional way. I keep it well oiled. The blade was forged from 1084 
stock. The blade is 7" from tip to poured pewter collar. Overall 11 5/8." The handle 
is white tail deer antler. Through tang pinned down into an iron domed end cap.
You just bought those, and they wouldn't be good hunting knives.

Now, what is your hunting knife?

Dog gone it, Muley... 

You won't let me get away with nothin.' :scratch:

I do not believe I own a perfect hunting knife. 
I will show you a pic of what I have in a few minutes 
in this post.

Ah. Here they are. I have used both. I have used the 
folding one more.

Knives_zpspcyjtmft.jpg

The larger white one is a gift from my father. 
He had that scrimshawed for me. I have had it for 
about 16 years. I do not use it often.

The other is made by Remington in the US. 
It was issued in 1987 in celebration of the 
870 auto and punp shotguns. I have had it 
since it was issued.

Yes, a proper skinner.   :pirat:

I'd use your dad's gift more often. He'd love that.

I would use the fixed blade because the folder doesn't seem to be a lock-blade ... easy way to lose a finger when butchering with a non-fixed blade knife or lock-blade knife.

I second Muley's and Pato's suggestions, use your Dad's gift, he would like that. 

Ron, it's a good thing you clarified the year for us!  Otherwise you would have of left us guessing.  :lol:

The favorite hunting knife question is hard to answer as different animals and time of year play a role.

I have the same 1987 Remington knife that the Colonel has and it is still NIB.

When hunting in cold weather I carry a folding lock blade Schrade <a href='/tags/1250T' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1250T'>#1250T</a> with a 24" piece of florescent orange parachute cord attached because I have lost hot knives from gutting/cutting diaphragm in the snow.

When after deer sized game in milder weather I carry a Winchester three blade folder my Dad bought
new in 1937. It has worked on more game than I can count and memories come alive every time I use it.

John

Thanks everyone for sharing.  I find it interesting to hear all the stories and long time favorites.

I use a Gerber Gator that has served me well for the past 10-12 years. The rubber grip does not get slick when wet, the blade holds an edge really well, and it fits my hand. BUT...
My everyday carry is a Buck with a "110" profile (but no 110 designation, or any other number). Three pins in the wood instead of four. Reads BUCK USA with the blade pointed downward. Noticeably slimmer than my '70s-up 110s.
I am not the original owner, but it has been in my family for generations.

-Joe

Joe, Buck has a folder called "The 55".  Has three pins in the handle.  It's just a smaller version of the 110.  Nice knife.

not sure what my knife is, just has 1945 stamped into the blade and made in Philippines. Carbon steel blade which skinned my dads elk out before it needed to be sharped prior to cutting the head off LOL. One tough knife and a hell of a deal for $15.

Latest posts

Back